Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:19 PM   #1

Hi! I'm new here. I'm just wondering which camera to buy because I've been told that the optical zoom is IMPORTANT in purchasing these cameras. Right now I have an Olympus C-750 and I LOVE it but my friend got the Panasonic DMC-FZ5 and her pictures are BETTER.If someone could give me their advice on which one would be best, I would greatly appreciate it. My choices are all with 12x optical zoom and 5 megapixels. I'm trying to decide on the following cameras:

Canon PowerShot S2 IS

Kodak P850

Konica Minolta Z5

Panasonic DMC-FZ5 or FZ20

Sony DSC H1

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to see your responses.
Deb308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:33 PM   #2

Well, dont take this the wrong way but this discussion between these cameras has been conducted here many many times. search the forums and you will find some answers that you seek. The overall response though is that the best camera depends on what features you want most and how much you can spend.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:36 PM   #3

Like I said, I'm new here so forgive me for not searching the site. I'm looking for a camera that takes good concert pictures. Pictures that are fast moving and in the dark except for stage lighting. I'll spend almost what I have to for a great camera. So if someone could advise me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:16 PM   #4

well, honestly you probably will not get that good of a picture with any of the cameras you listed for low light concert shots with fast moving subjects. They just do not have fast enough lenses or high enough ISO capability. The FZ20 with its F2.8 lens would be the best in this group for that. I have the S2 and love it dearly, but its just not a great low light performer when you dont use the flash (as are all the other cameras with F4.5 zooms and above) Also an option would be the Fuji 5200 as it has a higher ISO capability than these cameras.

Your best bet is a would be a DSLR (Such as the Minolta 5d) It has ISO up to 3200 (vs 400 on the cameras you list) Image stabilization and you can get a fast 2.8 zoom lens and you have the clear winner. The cost will be at ~1400.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:17 PM   #5

You want a "great" camera that will take "great" pictures in some very low light. Get a DSLR and learn how to use it. None of the above camera's are GREAT in low light. In fact all of the above cameras have strong limitations compaired to a DSLR.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:28 PM   #6

Well I'm not a professional by any means but I just recently went to a Bon Jovi concert and took these pictures with my Olympus and I think they are GREAT (well the ones that came out clear). My friend took pictures with her Panasonic and I think hers are even better. Check it out. http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...0th84&Ux=1 Tell me what you think. This is all I'm looking for but a little better quality.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 4:50 PM   #7

Deb-

Unfortunately, none of the cameras that you have listed are up to doing the job well without using flash. Even with flash, they will not stop action.I shoot concert and stage photos professionally, and I has suffered the reverses of working my way through the cameras on your list and been consistently very disappointed with the results.

The only fixed lens digital camera that is barely up to the task is the Fuji S-9000 selling for about $(US) 500.00

I have a S-9000, which I use sometimes,but most of the time use my Pentax 1st DS with a Sigma 28-300mm lens. The reason for needing a different camera is simply that you need a really high ISO capable camera. The Sony H-1, the Panasonic FZ-5/FZ-10/FZ-20/FZ-30, the Canon S-2 IS, the Kodak P-850, and the K-M Z-5 are all limited to a maximum ISO setting of ISO 400!

On the Fuji S-9000, I can use ISO 1600 ( 4 times faster than any of the cameras you listed) and ISO 3200 on the Pentax 1st DS ( 8 times faster than the cameras that you listed). The ISO makes ALL the difference!

I will attach a Fuji S-9000 sample photo to this post.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 4:52 PM   #8

Give the Fuji S5200 a look:

Click on link and check out the vision tour concert pictures. All taken at iso400-800. Not wanting to repost again, here's the link to a more thorough discussion:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16480189

I think besides the Panasonic FZ30 or dSLR, you will not find another ultrazoom that can perform better in a concert than the S5200. Its aperture amazingly stays at F3.2 in full-zoom. The Panasonic FZ30 has very respectable iso400 performance and the O.I.S. do come in handy especially when you try to avoid camera shake at full-zoom, the aperture close down to only f3.7, which is still pretty good. If you got the dough, I would highly consider the FZ30.

Direct link to gallery:

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/vi...umName=album13

Let me know if you want to see a 100% crop of a particular pic.

curtis

curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 4:54 PM   #9

Deb-

Hereis a sample from my Pentax 1st DS.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:00 PM   #10

Deb-

Here is a sample photo from my Canon 20D with a 28-125mm IS lens. Please keep in mind that folks will tell you that other cameras will do the job. Believe I have tried them all and ended up using the Fuji S-9000, the Pentax 1st Ds, and an Olympus E-500, si9mply because the do the job.

You can really see the difference in the photos. They tell the REAL story.

MT

Attached Images