Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2006, 2:40 PM   #1

Hi

I'm a little stuck here and I've read a lot of forums and reviews. I'm after a new digital camera that basically fits the following senarios:

1. Good low light - Outdoor night shots, indoor I'd normally use a flash.

2. Good burst mode - I like to photograph motorsport and video mode is a must(30fps).

3. Pocket sized

4. Ideally 4x Zoom but most cameras in this bracket don't have it.

I've come to this conclusion. I might as well have an F11 to have the better screen and control. But I like the FX9 for the image stabaliser and fast burst, but not for the noise issues over 200iso.

Just to complicate things I quite like the idea of the 4x Zoom with 800 iso on the e900 but I don't need 9mp. Although 9mp would give good scope for cropping.

I guess my question is. Is the FX9 any better at anything than the f11 or is it equal in most areas? Will the f11 be better for motorsport shots or will the fx9? Can the F11 create an equal image without stablisation?Finally is there any reason to spend the extra money on the e900 over f11 if all I get that benefits me is 4x zoom.

OR any other suggestions. Thought about shopping for an f810 but like the e900 not sure about the popup flash. Anyone know if the f11 is a lot better than the f810 or if the f810 flash is automatic?

One other thing, does anyone know if reducing the image size on the camera will reduce noise or improve burst speed on any of the above?

Any help is appreciated.

andypd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:06 PM   #2

Andypd-

Well, let review your choices:

The Panasonic FX-8 has actually received better reviews than the FX-9.

The Fuji F-10 is a great camera, however, some users do not like the fact that there is no optical view finder. The F-11, as far as I know, will not be available in the USA, but will be available in the rest of the world. I own the Fuji F-10 and think it is really a great camera. I don't believe the FX-8 or FX-9 do anything better than the F-10. If anything the FX-8 and FX-9 are ISO limited

The jury is still out on the Fuji E-900. There have only been a fewreviews, it has a lot of nice features, including 4X optical zoom and Natural Light technology.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the points. I live in the UK so I can get hold of the F11. I had pretty much decided on this until the e900 came up. Dilema is:

e900 has view finder f11 doesn't

f11 1600 iso e900 only 800

e900 has fast action controls (dial)- people say the f11/f10have afiddly menu

f11 is smaller

e900 4x zoom but the f11/f10 are cheaper.

Anyone know if the e900 is a pocket sized camera? Anyone had any experiance using the f10/f11 on moving subjects?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:17 PM   #4

andypd-

Point well made. You in the UK can get the F-11, while we here in the USA cannot.

I have a E-900 on order, because I am also interested in that camera. I will let you know the results of my search. I, actually, have high hopes for the Fuji E-900. But only time will tell. I will keep you posted.

MT
Old Feb 4, 2006, 6:41 AM   #5

Hi

Thought I should close my post. For those who may be interested I opted for the F10 (I got a very good deal in the sales otherwise it would have been the F11)and I am very pleased with it. For those looking for a quick compact camera you can't wrong. I didn't opt for the e900 purely on its size, I wanted something more pocketable. But a friend of mine bought one and he is very pleased.

My opinions

Pros: Very Quick, Compact, Holds good focus on burst mode, Great in low light, great video. I've managed to capture images of fast mving objects far better than I have on other compact cameras. long battery life.

Cons: Has a tendancy to always set the ISO higher than needed in low lightwhen using the flash. This can produce grainy images when you could have had a better image with 200iso. Easily fixed by setting the iso for the purpose.

Tips: get it with a 1GB card unless you plan to use the 3mp setting more.

Thanks MT for your feedback, hope your purchase went as well.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:22 AM   #6

Andy-

Yes, the E-900 has turned out to be a wonderful P&S camera. However, the top ISO of 800 is somewhat limiting.

MT