Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:20 PM   #11

Kassandro,

So, you think the A610/620 are cheaply built, and I would have problems with either of those? I have read about that E18 error problem in past Canons, but nothing recently.

I have been thinking higher MP's so that if I do print 8x10's the quality would be the best??? :?Getting really crazy over this decision!

Thanks,

Want It
Want It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:33 PM   #12
Administrator

Want It wrote:
Quote:
I have read nothing but great reviews on the A620. What would your thoughts be?
It depends on what type of photos you'll be taking (subjects, conditions), and what the purpose of the images will be (viewing/print sizes, etc.).

Quote:
Do you think it is better then to buy, say a 5 MP with higher optical zoom than a camera with higher MP's???
What percentage of your photos are you cropping a lot now?

Is it because of composition (to get rid of distractions you didn't notice while framing), or is it because you really need a lot more optical zoom?

If it's composition, work on your photography skills (use the appropriate amount of zoom, pay attention to telephone poles growing out of subjects heads, etc., so that you don't need to crop as much). ;-)

If it's because you lack enough focal length (and can't use your feet for zoom), how large are your prints going to be, and how important is the quality if you crop)? You'll need to weigh those types of things to make a better decision.

But, if a high percentage of your shots could use a 300mm focal length, even a 2 Megapixel model with a lens that long could give you more pixels representing your subject, compared to an image from a 7 Megapixel model using a 150mm lens, cropped to simulate the same focal length.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:47 PM   #13

When printing 8x10" fotos, 5 MP are enough for sharp pics.

If you have to crop your pics heavily most of the time I'd suggest you get yourself a superzoom cam, e.g. the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 or Sony H1 or Canon PowerShot S2IS so that you are able to compose your pics BEFORE the shot.

Only my 2 ct. ...
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:42 PM   #14

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Want It wrote:
Quote:
I have read nothing but great reviews on the A620. What would your thoughts be?
Quote:

It depends on what type of photos you'll be taking (subjects, conditions), and what the purpose of the images will be (viewing/print sizes, etc.).
Quote:
My husband and I sell Real Estate, so we take all our own photos of the outside and inside of houses, also lots of family photos. We also live in Beautiful Arizona, where I would love to get better shots of the mountains and sunsets!
Quote:
Do you think it is better then to buy, say a 5 MP with higher optical zoom than a camera with higher MP's???
Quote:

What percentage of your photos are you cropping a lot now?
Quote:
The ones of outside the houses, because I have to stand back far enough to get the wholehouse in, then I go back and crop as much as possible to bring the house in closer! Same with taking family shots or groups. So I quess that would mean, I needmorefocal length, hence optical zoom?
Quote:

Is it because of composition (to get rid of distractions you didn't notice while framing), or is it because you really need a lot more optical zoom?

If it's composition, work on your photography skills (use the appropriate amount of zoom, pay attention to telephone poles growing out of subjects heads, etc., so that you don't need to crop as much). ;-)
Quote:
If it's because you lack enough focal length (and can't use your feet for zoom), how large are your prints going to be, and how important is the quality if you crop)? You'll need to weigh those types of things to make a better decision.
Quote:
My pictures of houses go online (so lower clarity still looks good)and I make flyers pictures smaller than 3x5, that I then print onpaper, not photo paper, but high grade paper. I do want to have the ability to print very clear crisp shots up to 8x10.
Quote:

But, if a high percentage of your shots could use a 300mm focal length, even a 2 Megapixel model with a lens that long could give you more pixels representing your subject, compared to an image from a 7 Megapixel model using a 150mm lens, cropped to simulate the same focal length.
Quote:
It seems to me that you are going to come back and say, that I need a camera with more optical zoom? I am still pretty novice at this, and want to be able to take really good quality shots in auto mode, while I find the time to work my way into learning manual modes, and I really would like to accomplish this within one camera. Wow, do I ask a lot or what!!!
Quote:
I hope this came out ok, as I tried to quote it out as you had done in yourprevious reply to me. Answering by section.THANKS so much for taking the time to help me try to sort out what will best work for me!!
Quote:
Want It
Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:44 PM   #15

Sorry JimC, I did the reply completely wrong. Hope you can make out my answers.

I just went back and looked at how I answered, and I figured out the right way with the quotes! So will do better next time Hopefully!

Thanks again, I am greatly appreciative of your help!!

Want It

Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:58 PM   #16

shutterbuggy,

Thanks so much for your reply......I have a funny feeling that is where I am headed; higher optical zoom. Although not sure if those cameras are more than I know and will use. My first priority it to have awesome shots in auto mode. Based on the reviews I read of the ones you mentioned......they say you need to take more control to get great shots???

Thanks for your 2 cents Everyones help means so much to me!

Want It

Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:08 PM   #17

It is a known fact, I think?, or at least it should be. Of course no manufacture is going to tell it!. But any camera Cannon or 357 magnum, has some problems with a large amount of MP on small sensors.

When you place much more than 4 MP on a small sensor, you start getting interaction. This tends to produce photos with excessive aberrations, or Blue Fringing for those who don't understand the previous term. Also increased noise in shadow areas.

If you are really good, you don't need to crop. You learn to frame your images in the viewfinder, get closer to your subject, and do not have the need to crop. Sometimes maybe just a small edge, I can do that with 1 MP and never loose a noticeable amount of quality. I did it for years!.

Of course if you don't mind all those ugly blue shadows around objects in your photos, go for 12 or maybe even 50, if they make it. And just keep on chopping baby!.
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:18 PM   #18
Administrator

OK.... I've got a better understanding now.

You're taking photos of houses to sell them.

The quality of these images may influence someones decison to look at a home.

So, if even one home were sold because a better image on a flyer got someone's attention, you'd probably pay for the camera many times over, right?

Get something with good wide angle capability for the interiors. Go wider, not longer.

Make sure to get a decent external flash with it (you'll want evenly lit rooms to bring out their best and a camera's built in flash isn't going to give you that). Make the sure the camera has a hot shoe and/or sync port for an external flash (and get a flash you can bounce for more diffused and even lighting).

It's all about perpective. A wide zoom makes a room look spacious.

A camera starting out at a 35mm equivalent focal length of 35mm (like the two Canon models you initially asked about) isn't going to accomplish that.

Unless you shoot multiple images and stitch (which isn't going to give the the same perspective you'd have with a wider lens), you may need to back up into corners to try and get as much of a room into the image as possible if your lens isn't as wide, and still leave it looking too small.

You want to sell these homes, right? LOL

I'd probably put more emphasis on the wide angle part versus the long end.

If you're able to take photos of the interior, why can't you position yourself better for the exterior shots, too (without the need for an ultra-zoom model)?

I don't understanding this comment (it sounds like you're backing up to get the house in, then cropping later to make it larger for a little different perspective).

Quote:
The ones of outside the houses, because I have to stand back far enough to get the wholehouse in, then I go back and crop as much as possible to bring the house in closer! Same with taking family shots or groups. So I quess that would mean, I needmorefocal length, hence optical zoom?
If you back up to get it all in, that implies you're already at the widest setting for your zoom lens.

Why can't you just zoom in a little and take another shot right then to have a photo with the house larger (less surrounding landscape) if you want more than one version of it, or move in closer and take a second photo if you run out of optical zoom and/or want perspective to infuence the photo?

Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:42 PM   #19
Administrator

P.S.

Your Kodak had a focal range that was equivalent to 30-60mm (when compared to a 35mm model).

30mm is starting out wider than the models you're looking at. I don't think you want something that's not as wide if you want your rooms to look larger. ;=)

They do have a wide angle adapter available, though.

Now, I can understand wanting something longer than 60mm (your Kodak's maximum zoom) from time to time.

But, I'm not sure you need an ultra-zoom model from what you've told us so far. Most zoom lenses give you a lot more optical zoom than you've got on their longer end.

Look at the 35mm equivalent focal range (in mm) when comparing lenses. Ignore the 2x, 3x, 4x, etc. That doesn't tell you how wide they start out, or how long they go. It's only telling you how much difference there is between the widest and longest zoom setting.

What's your budget for a new camera?

Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:02 PM   #20

Trust me, not concerned about the houses selling.....they sell fast! LOL

My biggest concern is not so much the inside shots, as yes you are right that a wider angle lense would probably show a lot more, but I don't want to get into wider angle lenses for just the sake of doinf wider inside shots. I get pretty good angles.

Yes, you are right that I am always going to the longest or widest end of my zoom to fit in the subject.
Quote:
The cropping occurs when I have to cut out things around that in the photo. I will try to upload recent photos from my Kodak DC280. I am embarrassed to say, that my daughter pushed the camera (by mistake of course) off my desk crashing down onto ceramic tile. This happened before these shots were taken. I think they came out great other than, I think there is some blurryness hapening now.

So you are saying that my old camera (Kodak) is capable of more zoom, then the A620? If that is the case, I certainly don't want to go backwards or downgrade in that respect!

My Budget......well.....I am sure my husband wouldn't care how much. He keeps saying order your camera already!! I am the research freak, and won't do that till I have made a good choice.

Again, I must say, that I am very much the novice, great at the computer, but novice on camera settings. So, I want to be able to take Fabulous shots in auto, and learn more manual down the road!