Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2006, 5:43 PM   #1

Just about to finally take the plunge and order my Canon A620, (novice, with intentions of growing with this camera) and I read some info in several different reviews, saying the 7 MP's are a waste if the the sensor isn't big enough to make use of them. I have read other things that say.....you don't need more than 4 or 5 MP's to havethe best photos? Not talking SLR's here. I do crop quite a bit, and will print to 8 x 10 with a possibility of theoccasional larger at like a Kinko's.

So, need some feed back from all the great pro's in here! PLEASE

Example,

A610 is 1/1.8 sensor, 5 MP

A620 is 1/1.8 sensor, 7 MP

So, both have the same sensor. Does this mean that the 610 is going to take better photos with less MP's????

Also, Steve reviewed the 620 as being outstanding, and so does dpreview!

I am so confused :? and want to buy my new camera already!

Thanks,

Want It
Want It is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:38 PM   #2

WantIt-

Your choice of the Canon A-620 is the correct choice. The A-620 has received much better reviews. The 7mp imager (CCD) is well tested and very reliable.

You will enjoy the camera a lot. Now have fun and take some good photos!

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:06 PM   #3

I've never wasted a pixel in my life.

Now, brain cells, that's another story!

As MTClimber said, the A620 gets good reviews.

Also, with 7MP, you can "crop" the photo after, using software, to reduce unwanted bits at the edges of the photo.

Heck, with 7mp, you can crop away half the photo and still print a reasonable 8x10!

So, one advantage of more megapixels is cropping.

- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:51 PM   #4

Hi MT,

Thanks for your reply. You said that, "The A-620 has received much better reviews" do you mean compared to the A610, or other models?

I am replacing a Kodak DC280 2 MP. (Ancient, I know, but it served me well for the last 5 years!) It seems that there are so many excellent reviews about Canon and not to many on Kodak. I also think based on all the great things I have read about the A620, that it is a good choice for me. I look forward to taking great photos in auto, and learning more about using the manual controls.

I have been coming to this forum for only a few days now, and have learned so much already!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me decide!

Want It
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:41 PM   #5

Hey Terry,

You crack me up! Hey thanks for your reply. I have seen a lot of posts from you and mtclimber, and I respect both of your advice!

I was thinking that with all the hundreds of great reviews I have read on this camera, it has to be good! One thing I did know, isthat you do need higher MP to keep the quality of the photo when you crop it.

I also plan on buying Photoshop Elements 4.0, looks like a very good photo program, newer technology than the Microsoft Picture it, I have been using for a couple years.

Hey if you don't mind, one more question of you both.......I am also going to add a larger SD card. Was thinking SanDisk Ultra II 1GB. Your thoughts.......??

Thanks so much for taking your time to help me.

Want It

Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:35 AM   #6

You don't waste pixels with the A620 but you waste money. The image quality of the A620 is better than the A610, but the A620 isn't worth the enormous price difference.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:51 AM   #7

kassandro,

So, you don't think the A620 is worth the money or purchasing it then? What do you suggest then?

Thanks for your repy.

Want It

Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:21 AM   #8

I am longtime Canon shareholder and it would be good for me if you would buy a A620, but the A610 is clearly the better value. It is very likely that Canon uses the same production line for the A610 and the A620. Only the CCD and the color of the plastics have to be changed. Canon pays at most 20$ more to Sony for the 7 MP CCD than it does for the 5 MP CCD. Thus the A620 should cost only 30$ more and here in Germany the best price for the A620 is 301€ and for the A610 it is 234,85€ (all prices include VAT). From the full resolution pictures I have seen so far, the image quality of the A610 is still better than any 5 MP ultrazoom, which I know quite well, as long as there is no shake. Better you pay less now and buy a new camera earlier. Also we do know nothing yet about the long time durability of the A610/A620. The Canon A series is always built very cheaply (for instance, read the messages about A610/620 battery contacts). After one or two years the A610/A620 may exhibit something like the infamous E18 error of the A70 and some more expensive IXUS models. Thus the A610 is also a lower risk camera, because you risk less money.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:08 AM   #9
Administrator

Cropping and Megapixels... a quick point, since I noticed the OP's comment saying "I do crop quite a bit"

If you crop a photo to make it look like you used twice as much optical zoom, you end up with only 1/4 (not 1/2) the original resolution (because like area, resolution in pixels is computed by multiplying width x height).

So, you really don't want to crop any more than absolutely necessary if you want larger prints.

Cropping is not a substitute for Optical Zoom if you need to bring a distance subject in closer.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:12 PM   #10

JimC,

You said, "Cropping is not a substitute for Optical Zoom if you need to bring a distance subject in closer"

I think you may have hit the nail on the head as far as what I have been doing in the past.

So once again, so close to my purchase, and now totally confused all over again!

I want to be smart and economical as possible, but something of good quality is important to me, to take fabulous auto photos, but have the capabilities to grow into learning manual controls. I have even looked at the Canon S2 (12x optical zoom) as well, and reviews left me to believe that you need to be more of a pro to handle that model, because most reviews have said you need to set controls right to get great pictures. I had also looked at the Canon S80.

I have read nothing but great reviews on the A620. What would your thoughts be?

Do you think it is better then to buy, say a 5 MP with higher optical zoom than a camera with higher MP's???

I also think then perhaps, I am getting into cameras that are over my head as far as knowledge, that I would never learn how to use.

I really want to make a decision in the next couple of days :angry:

REALLY APPRECIATE everyones help!!

Thanks,

Want It