Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:58 PM   #1

I am interested in a good quality camera that can also take decentquality videos, preferably at least 30 min per gig card. And, I also want one that is compact enough to carry in my purse and have with me all the time. I have young kids. so being able to take lots of low light, indoor pics, is a must.

I've read reviews in others forums here, but have posted here, since I'd like to get views from varying perspectives ( canon lovers verses casio, sony, etc...)

I have been looking at the casio Z750 (7MP)and S600 (6MP). These both use mpeg4 video format and thus can compress high quality ( 640 x 480 res.) videos. You can get 110 min. of quality recording on a 1 gig card! They are also super slick and small, about the size of a cigarette case, with the 750 being a little thicker. Those that have them, esp. the Z750, which has been out since Feb, really like them. I think Steve or was it Ken Rockwell, that even stated, the Z750 is the best 7 MP camera available!

But, some have complained of oversaturated pics anda somewhat weak flash ( 9.5 ft). Others have said that by changing the settings, they get professional , sharp,indoor quality pics. The z750 has lots of manual modes, so accordingly lots can be done with it. But it also has a major lens error problem, althouth that may have been fixed with the newer gun metal models. The s600, is more point and shoot, butseems to also be a good quality camera. Unfortunately, the s600 is only officially available in Asia, so not many reviews of it, yet. It was just announced today at the CES show in Vegas that it won't be released in the states until March.

What does everyone think of the casios? I've read reviews in the casio forum, but of course a casio forum will have mostly casio favorable reviews when comparing it with other brands

Some have suggested the A610 /620, esp. the A610 for indoor, low light situations. But they only take 8 min. of video / 1 gig and not as compact as the casios.

And canon 550, supposeldy also goodfor indoors shots, but not as compact. I haven't heard much on its videoing capablitly.Anyone have any input?

Cameras seem to be improoving on their videoing capability. Such as Sanyo. They just came out with a super neat, sleek lookingc-6, that has a 12 opt. zoom andtakes superior mpeg4 videos. But those who just got them, including Steve, all say the still camera quality sucks ( their words, not mine).

The sony m-1/ m2 are nice. super sleek looking cameras with a pivoting LCD, but not sure of the pic and video quality. And I think they are only 5 MP and no IS. Anyone have anyinput on these?

So, is there a nice compact camera that can do decent pictures and videos, and can getat least 30 min. of videoing per gig.

Any other suggestions for a nice, sleek, quality compact camera with decent 30+ minutes videoing capabitlity? I can wait a few months to buy, so if there is also one on the horizon, let me know.

Thanks, Carol
ohiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:06 PM   #2

ohiomama wrote:
Quote:
[...]Such as Sanyo. They just came out with a super neat, sleek lookingc-6, that has a 12 opt. zoom andtakes superior mpeg4 videos. But those who just got them, including Steve, all say the still camera quality sucks ( their words, not mine).[...]
It's a 5x optical zoom, and Steve commented on the flash being weak for indoor stills, not the stills quality itself. I think all of the people complaining about the stills capabilities are talking about the indoor flash photography they took during the holidays, again this is due to the weak flash. With enough light, like outdoors, photo quality is actually pretty good, just look at Steve's C5 review for his impressions (C6 review will come very soon) and samples you can judge for yourself. For video, the C6 is hard to beat, and does very well indoors in relative low light thanks to it's 9 pixel mixture technology.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:21 PM   #3

OhioMama-

A lot of folks are very excited by the newest offering from Casio the Z-120. You might want to take a look. The previews are very positive. There are no complete professional reviews completed as yet on the Casio Z-120.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:30 PM   #4

mtclimber, the Z120 takes MJPEG video, so recording time at HQ will be limited again (~10 min./GB). Some of the feedback I've seen also complain about it's poor indoor shooting (flash problem again). Here's one user feedback at dpreview.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:42 PM   #5

Caelum-

Please understand that I am also a very enthusiatic Slave Flash user. I know for sure that I can oversome the extremely lowflash range of the Casio Z-120. I also have several 2gb SD chips, so I can get 20 min of video out of each chip.

I love the challenge. I'll bet I can make the Z-120 work like gang busters. I do indeed have the necessary background to make it happen.

MT
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:07 PM   #6

mtclimber, I was simplypointing out that the Z120 might fall short ofohiomama's criterias of video "at least 30 min per gig card" and stills "take lots of low light, indoor pics". Not making a comment on howit would serve you. Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:57 PM   #7

Caelum-

You are exactly correct.

MT
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:45 AM   #8

Yes, i had read some reviews on the casio z120. I've read sooooo many reviews, its hard to keep them all staright. I can't remember the exact details, but I do remember thinking the s600 or z750 more closely fit what I'm looking for.

And sorry, I got the info wrong on the sanyo c6 optical zoom. I think I'm starting to get a brain freeze from reading all these forums for the past few weeks. Plus, the other night I was up 'til the wee hours of the morning, reading all 16+ pagesof the c6 in the sanyo forum. And yes, I was referring to its low light indoor still picture performance only, when referring to its poor picture quality. Thanks for pointing that out. Now if someone could just make a camera with thesleek, compact design and videoing capability of the sanyo C6 along with great low light still pic capability like the fuji f-11 , then I could end my (late night) research today.

So, does anyone have any recommedations for a compact digital camera that can take both good quality pics and videos? I can find lots of reviews regarding good quality cameras for indoor /low light pics. But, its hard to find much on their videoing capability.
ohiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 2:59 AM   #9
E.T

There isn't many cameras which use MPEG4 compression for video clips so that would be quite important because that compression is practically only one which enables long good quality video clips without memory cards costing more than camera.

Oversaturated pics are what pretty much all point&shoots output at default settings.

If you can wait few months that might be worth of it because PMA-show is where many makers release their new products.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:17 PM   #10

You might want to take a look at he Kodak (yes, I said "Kodak"! I was also amazed.) V-550 or the V-530.

Those cameras take MPED-4 video clips and they look very good. The V-530 is small and sells for around $200. Pretty amazing!

MT