Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2006, 2:23 AM   #11

tech challenged, you do not need to use iPhoto to download your images. You can use a card reader with your Mac and download images that way. Or you can just connect via USB and your Mac should mount the camera as a USB drive. Double-click on the "drive" and drag your images to your hard drive. Eject the drive and then open the photos in whatever image processing software you choose. If you're shooting RAW, you may want to try Capture One for OSX. Regarding the MakerNote issue, this web page may be of interest:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...uery=MakerNote
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:12 AM   #12

Hi B1ue,Thank you for your suggestions. I am aware of those choices. I plan on using a card reader in the future, though that doesn't rectify my existing iPhoto library. I've been following the fixes and would prefer not to strip existing info.I noticed that your post is like mine, in that there aren't any paragraph breaks. Is that because we're on Mac's or is there a fix? It appears that Curtisfun is probably also on a Mac, but his posts do have breaks in them. Even though I make them in my view, it never displays that way when I "send."Thanks!
tech challenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:55 AM   #13

rduve-

The Panasonic FZ cameras are good cameras in normal lighting. It is when the light levels decreased and the ISO numbers increased that IMHO the noise came on strongly and the resolution seem to falter.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:05 PM   #14

Hi tech_challenged:

Safari is screw up, it does not keep the line breaks, so use Firefox, but that is screw up also because I can't seem to write anything below quotes. The only browser that seems to work perfectly is Firebird, but they don't seem to update that anymore.

I don't bother using iPhoto anymore since it's pretty slow and does not support RAW, so I am using the Finepix viewer that comes with the camera, it's very fast in displaying both RAW and jpeg equally fast. When it comes time to edit the pictures or convert the RAW file, I just drag and drop the file on top of Photoshop CS icon that is sitting on my dock, very straightforward.

Since you are using OS 10.4 tiger, does the system itself support RAW? That is what I heard.

curtis

tech challenged wrote:
Quote:
Hi B1ue,Thank you for your suggestions. I am aware of those choices. I plan on using a card reader in the future, though that doesn't rectify my existing iPhoto library. I've been following the fixes and would prefer not to strip existing info.I noticed that your post is like mine, in that there aren't any paragraph breaks. Is that because we're on Mac's or is there a fix? It appears that Curtisfun is probably also on a Mac, but his posts do have breaks in them. Even though I make them in my view, it never displays that way when I "send."Thanks!
curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:43 PM   #15

Curtisfun, Regarding the OS X supportingĀ* RAW I don't know, sorry. I've never heard of the otherĀ* browser's you mentioned.
tech challenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:59 PM   #16

fire fox link:

http://www.mozilla.org/

curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:10 PM   #17

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
rduve-

The Panasonic FZ cameras are good cameras in normal lighting. It is when the light levels decreased and the ISO numbers increased that IMHO the noise came on strongly and the resolution seem to falter.

MT

Yes, I agree, indoor sports for example are tough to impossible to shoot with the FZ's. Everything else though is working very well.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:11 PM   #18

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
rduve-

MT

Yes, I agree, indoor sports for example are tough to impossible to shoot with the FZ's. Everything else though is working very well.

oops, sorry, double post.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 6:35 AM   #19

tech,

Since you stated in your OP you were looking for more MP's, speed, and low light capability, I though you might find the folowing comparisons useful:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...000/page10.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/page7.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/page5.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz30/page5.asp

Although the above links compare the S9000 with the FZ30, the S5200's low light capability and speed should be similar to the S9000...and is smaller in size and weight.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:50 PM   #20

I actually own both the Fuji S-9000 and the S-5200. While the S-5200 is a lower cost, lower MP camera I find that I use it just as much as the S-9000.

The S-5200 is quick, easy to use, and cranks out some excellent photos. I still have mixed feelings about the S-9000.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote