Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:04 PM   #21

So, MT & "The Hun," it seems as though you're both fans of the Fuji 5200 vs. the FZ5. Here I am ready to order the FZ5 today and¬* I've come to terms that I really need 2 cameras for my uses. So, down the road I was going to hopefully invest in a camera that is more conducive to the indoor low light shooting that I also do.¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*If you either think this is not a smart move, please let me know ASAP!¬* I am frugal and would like to get 1 camera that would fit all my uses, but I've come to realize that I really probably would be better off with 2 cameras for different uses. Particularly because I would like to keep my cameras on the small end.¬* ¬*Thanks again, I will research those reviews you posted later (the hun.)¬* Thank you for your time!
tech challenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:23 PM   #22

tech challenged-

Let's put a little better perspective on theimportant camera choice questionshere.

The Panasonic FZ-5 is a great ultra zoom digital camera with IS that does an excellent job, EXCEPT in low light level shooting situations,where it tends to show a lot of noise when the light levels fall and the ISO settings are increased.

You mentioned the desire for a smaller camera. Do you really need an ultra zoom? Ultra zooms always tend to be larger in size. Or, could you get by with 3X optical zoom, if it was a smaller compact type point and shoot camera?

The Fuji S-5200 is also an ultra zoom camera, therefore, it is a larger camera. It does not have IS, but it can use higher ISO settings which make low light level shooting a good deal easier.

So there you have the facts. Perhaps that will assist you a bit. I will check back later to see if you have any more questions.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:35 PM   #23

Hi MT, of course I want the best of everything. I want the zoom ability and the low light ability. I am willing to go with the size of the fz5. I haven't seen the Fuji in person, but the size on paper looks like a possibility. I've played with the fz30 and it's a bit large and more $$.¬* My shooting is mostly kids sports, life, indoor low light sports & dancing, some large family gatherings.¬* ¬*I really appreciate your help. Now I see the web site I was going to order the fz5 from is out of stock... maybe they're trying to tell me something??? ¬* ¬*Thanks again!!!
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:52 PM   #24

You are so correct, tech challenged-

We always want the perfect camera. And yes, a perfect digital camera for your requirements would be a dSLR camera, but I am making the assumption that budget does not allow up to go to that level.

Therefore, the camera decision will have to be a bit of a compromise. When I said a smaller camera, I was thinking of the Fuji F-10 which is one heck of a camera and sells for less than $300. It is very low light level capable. Here is a F-10 sample.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:09 PM   #25

MT, wow!! That's an amazing shot! Now you're getting me to look at more options. Not what I wanted to do. I'm already overwhelmed with¬* the info on my original searches. (Don't get me wrong I love that you're helping me.)¬* I actually was originally considering the Canon A610. But I determined though it seemed like a great candidate but overall the FZ5 was a better fit.¬* ¬*I currently have a Nikon 3100 (3X optical) and I've found it definitely isn't enough zoom & it's not great in low light situations.¬* ¬*So, after all that do you think for my needs getting the Fz5 is a mistake, rather than the Fuji S5200?
Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:48 PM   #26

tech,

You say you want a camera that is good in low light - kids indoor sports and dancing. You say you already have a camera that is a poor performer in low light. You say you want to buy another camera that is a poor performer in low light. Go ahead...it's your money...do what you want to do. I was just trying to help. I'm not a Fuji salesman...I don't get a commision if you buy an S5200...I'm not pushing any particlular brand or model of camera. I was simply trying to prevent you from making another mistake. You presented the criteria - I presented a possible solution.

Which do you think would be better for taking pictures of kids sports in a dark gym?

Panasonic = Max ISO 400

Fuji= Max ISO 1600

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 4:47 PM   #27

tech challenged-

The Fuji S-5200 uses the same imager (CCD) as the Fuji F-10, and is also capable of using ISO 1600. The FZ-5 has a max ISO setting of 400.

The S-5200 is about the same size as the FZ-5.

Rinnie and Ihave done our best to provide info. Now it is up to you.

MT
Old Jan 8, 2006, 4:49 PM   #28

Thanks to all!¬* ¬*It's ordered FZ5 that is. ¬* ¬*I really appreciate all the pointers. I realize that this may not be the best choice for low light conditions, but overall it's the best fit for me.¬* My plan is to get another camera that will better accomodate low light at a later date.¬* But for now I'm really looking forward to getting some good shots with the Panasonic.¬*
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:10 PM   #29

Congratulations, tech challenged-

The FZ-5 is a great camera, and you will relly enjoy it.

MT