Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:22 PM   #1

Hi, I currently have a Nikon 3100 (3mp). Been pretty good, but I would like to step up a bit...My wants are;1) faster2) better in low light3) more megapixelsI have looked extensively at the Canon A610, S2, Panasonic FZ5 & FZ30.*I'm a little concerned about size of the FZ30. Though the FZ5 sounds great, I haven't held it yet.My brother has the FZ30 and loves it. Though he's way more techy than I.My photo shooting mostly consists of kids living life, playing sports, running track stars, soccer, ballroom dancing (indoors, usually a bit dark), family gatherings, trips, some nature shots.Don't like the larger price tag (FZ30), but if truly worth the difference I would take that leap.I'm not really interested in other cameras, researching these has already absorbed too much time away from my 4 yr. old. Any specific suggestions would be G R E A T L Y* appreciated, both by me and my little one. I'll be eagerly awaiting your replies!**Thanks again,* Lost in the research abyss[img]/forums/images/emoticons/nuts.gif[/img]
tech challenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:05 PM   #2

TechChallenged-

Dollar for dollar, the Panasonic FZ-5 is the best bang for the buck, providing you must have a Panasonic, and providing your are not doing a lot of low light level shooting.

If you can look beyond Panasonic, then take a good look at the Fuji S-5200. No, it does not have IS, but it is on heck of a camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:04 PM   #3

Hi, thanks for* responding. I have done a little searching on the Fuji and wonder why you suggest it?*I guess I should mention I use a* Macintosh and the version I have isn't supported for this Fuji either.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:59 PM   #4

techchallenged-

The fact that your Mac has a problem with the Fuji site is unfortunate. However, howdoes thatdistract from the fact that the Fuji S-5200 is a great digital camera? Am I missing something?

MT
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:56 PM   #5

tech challenged wrote:
Quote:
Hi, thanks for responding. I have done a little searching on the Fuji and wonder why you suggest it?I guess I should mention I use a Macintosh and the version I have isn't supported for this Fuji either.
Hello,

I use Mac OS X 10.3 here, it works fine with my S5200 USB and Fuji Finepix software. What system version are you running?

curtis
curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:06 PM   #6

Curtis-

That is really GOOD news.

MT
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:38 PM   #7

Hi Curtis,I'm running OS X 10.4.3 and the Fuji 5200 isn't listed as* a supported camera. The camera I am currently using isn't supported either and as it turns out after a lot of searching that it has a large MakerNote problem and creates storage issue, which slows down the iPhoto. Therefore, I would like to avoid a similar problem.Mt thanks for your suggestion, but again is there a reason you seem to prefer the Fuji? After reading through some reviews online, it seems overall more complaints than I've seen with the Panasonic.I did get to hold the Panasonic tonight and it is quite small.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:43 PM   #8

Do you feel the Panasonic doesn't do well in low light level shooting?Thanks again!
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:10 AM   #9

techchallenged-

Unfortunately, I have owned three different Panasonic FZ cameras, and they did not do as well as I had hoped for, in the final analysis.

MT
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:35 AM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
techchallenged-

Unfortunately, I have owned three different Panasonic FZ cameras, and they did not do as well as I had hoped for, in the final analysis.

MT

I have owned the FZ20 and currently FZ30, and I am very happy with both of them. I previously owned the Canon G5, which alsohad great image quality, but didn't compare in its handling to the FZ's.I find the FZ's are the best value for the money on the market. What are you referring to "in the final analysis"?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote