Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:05 PM   #1

I am buying my first digital camera, I would love to know what you think of these cameras. I am interested in taking photos of family/ friends for fun, probably just the regular 4* 6 " prints.

Kodak EasyshareV550 or even V530, I'm not sure the difference other than the LCD screen size. I can get the V550 for about $8 more than the V530 ($258.00, so I'm assuming go with the higher model #?

Here's a review of the V550:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/V550/V550A.HTM

OR~~~

Nikon Coolpix S1, it is about $30 extra bucks....here's a review:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CPS1/CPS1A.HTM

Any other recommendations for a compact digital camera for about the same price is welcome. Please leave your opinions!

Thank you!

rainums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:39 PM   #2

Hey, welcome to digital photography! Looks like you did your research. The Kodak gets Rave Reviews from everyone including fickle Cnet.com . The only other one I might suggest if you were willing to go a bit bigger would be the New Canon A610/A620.
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:14 PM   #3

Kimnicho-

However if camera size is a priority, and there is a desire for some MPEG-4 video clips, it is hard to beat the Kodak V-550/V-530. For around $200, the V-530camera is is pretty darned amazing. Here is a sample against heavy backlighting. It is an excellent result. The sample photo has been re-sized but has no post processing.

It is hard to argue with that quality.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:11 PM   #4

Rainums,
I've been using my Kodak V550 for 5 months, so far so good.
If you compare to Nikon S1, I think Nikon hv more features, but S1 don't have optical view finder. For myself most of the time I take photo using viewfinder.
for V550 battery life seem shorter if u using LCD, so using viewfinder will prolong the battery life or alternatively I also always carry spare battery.
Sample shoot taken using long exposure.
Attached Images

armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:53 PM   #5

armadilloshield-

That is a very impressive photo taken with a Kodak V-550! I assume it was taken on a tripod, what was the ISO?

As you might have seen in the Kodak folder, I have had a V-530 to use today, and frankly, I have been very impressed with what the V-530 was able to do. The V-530, for less than $200 is much more capable than I had expected. It appears that Kodak is really coming on strong. Congratulations to Kodak!

MT
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:10 PM   #6

MT, actually not using any tripod but just put the camera rest on the parapet wall :-)
Using ISO 80 and Long Exposure 8 secs.
Generally Kodak is good camera, such as P850 come with Image Stabilizer, I like that feature
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:28 PM   #7

Armadilloshield-

Well done, all around. The ISO 80 worked beautifully. I have had a V-530 to use today, and I have been impressed. I am sure the V-550 is a step up.

As far as the P-850 goes, I have not been overly impressed with it at all in though I own one. Most of my images are soft, rather than sharp.

MT

Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:57 PM   #8

Mt Climber,

Thats a great portrait pic. ( I see you like taking lots of pics of this woman in readingother post)

You said this is an unprocessed photo. So, your original had no red-eye, even with a blue eyed subject?! I just returned the kodak Z760 .It was terrible with red-eye, almost every indoor shot. I first used the double flash ( had red-eye problems, also), but found with little kids they always looked away by the time the second flash came. My kids have big brown eyes and in most of the pics they had fiery red eyes!

Can you also send a sample of a video? And how long of videoing can you get on a 1 gig card? Plus, how long does the battery last?

Thanks.................
ohiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:28 PM   #9

OhioMama-

First of all this is a barrowed camera that was lent to me late yesterday afternoon. So I am not 100% up to speed with it as yet, in terms of fine details. Here is what I do know thus far:

*The V-530was PC Magazine's camera of the year choice for 2005.

*The V-530 can record MPEG-4 video until the chip is full. Therefore, if my math is correct, when using a 1gb SD card/chip you will get 25 minutes of video.

*There is IS for video but not for still photos on the V-530 and V-550.

* The photo of that blonde lady you see quite often is me by the way. The unprocessed photo purposefully taken directly into some really heavy backlighting had no red-eye at all.

* The big brother to the V-530 (which has a 2 inch LCD, and NO OPTICALVIEWFINGER) is the V-550 which has a 2.5 inch LCD and DOES HAVE AN OPTICAL VIEWFINDER, but costs $50 more.

* for a camera selling for $200 on the internet, the V-530 has a lot to offer

* I am not quite sure how to post a video clip, but perhaps somebody will chime in with a suggestion or two.

I hope that helps.

MT
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:02 PM   #10

OhioMama-

Here is a link to Steve's review of the Kodak V-550, the big brother to the V-530, which includes all the details and a sample video:http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/v550.html.

I hope this helps.

MT