Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:14 PM   #1

After recently learning that due to the small sensor size, most all-in-one SLR-like digital cameras really can't take very good photos that have a subject in sharpfocuswith a blurry back ground (shallow depth of field), I am now more seriously leaning towards a dSLR instead of the SLR-likes I was looking at (Panasonic FZ30, Nikon 8800, or Fuji S9000). With that said, I am nowcomparing the Nikon D50 with the Olympus E500. The size of the E500 is nice and so is the dust-reduction feature, but I've also read lots of good things about the D50. Any input on this would be appreciated.
jiaozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:03 PM   #2

SLR-Like S5100..
Attached Images

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:04 PM   #3

...another...
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:05 PM   #4

...last one...blurry enough?
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:24 PM   #5

Wow. Okay, I get the point. These are good!

I guess I was given some inaccurate advice about the depth of field capabilites of the SLR-like cameras. Were these taken with manual settings or in program mode? Just curious. Now I'm a little confused again...

Just wondering...anymore input on the D50 vs. E500...or this issue of depth of field?

jiaozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:48 PM   #6

jiaozi-

My Fuji S-5200, the successor to the Fuji S-5100, which Rinnie used to produce the great DOF examples cost me about $360. Thank you Rinnie for the great photo examples!

My Olympus E-500 body cost about $600 and the 14-54mm lens I use on it cost another $400. Total cost $1,000. Or you could buy the E-500 with just the kit lens: cost $780.

IMHO I think that the Fuji S-5200 would be easier on your budget. Just a thought.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:51 PM   #7

Jiaozi,

The pics were taken on AUTO...I wasn't trying to be creative, just trying to get a couple of good shots, since they wouldn't hold still for anything. These Monarchs were on their way down to Mexico, and just stopped by to fuel up. They were very skittish, and I had to resort to full zoom, rather getting in tight with a wide angle macro.

I would agree that smaller sensor results in a greater depth of field, but it doesn't make it impossible to "blur the background". I would also agree that a DSLR can provide better quality pictures, have faster response times, and are better in low light with less noise. On the down side is the co$t, size, weight, the need for multiple lenses, post processing, dust intrusion on the sensor, and did I mention co$t?

the Hun

Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:54 PM   #8

You said it all, sovery well, Rinnie!

The Fuji S-5100 and the newer S-5200 with it higher ISO capability give you a lot of bang for the buck.

Here is a flash sample photo from the newer S-5200, that also demonstrates the same DOF quality for jiaozi.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote