Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:55 PM   #11

Quote:
I have the S2 and love it. its a great all around camera, the zoom is fantastic and the images are clean and crisp. If you understand the drawbacks of prosumer vs point/shoot vs DSLR, you will be more than happy with this camera.
I have been trying to make a decision on a new camera. Again being much of a novice, I want to get a great overall camera that takes great photos (not really worried about low light) in auto, but one that I can learn and grow into manual modes. I also like the capabilities of the big zoom.

Since you have an S2, Do you think the Canon S2 would be a good all around choice for me? I have learned more about all the differences in the last few days, that my head is spinning :?

Someone told me that is would be best to pick something with 28 - 100mm range. He also suggested I look at the Canon Rebel XT......I am thinking it is a bit too pro for me, I don't really want to get into changing lenses.

S2 is 36 - 432mm. My old Kodak (5 yrs. 2 MP) is 30 - 60mm

I would love to hear everyones opinions, itwould be greatly appreciated!

Want It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:01 PM   #12

What are you taking photos of typically?

Sports?.. Family?.. Wildlife..?

If the extreme zoom interests you, but you don't want to have to change lenses.. That narrows it down a bit.
Quote:
Someone told me that is would be best to pick something with 28 - 100mm range.

S2 is 36 - 432mm. My old Kodak (5 yrs. 2 MP) is 30 - 60mm
Is there a reason he told you this?.. Are you wanting to take wide angle shots?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:19 PM   #13

Hivwmom,

I think he told me that because I sell Real Estate and take lots of pictures of houses, inside and out (so better wide angle and zoom). But this is not my major concern for my new camera purchase, as I have gotten really pretty good shots even with my old Kodak 30-60mm.

It would be used for our business, but equallyfor family and outdoor stuff (not action sports or anything like that). I also live in beautiful Arizona and would love to take great mountain and sunset shots.

I really like everything I hear about Canon, and have been strongly considering the S2. I started out at the A620, and then realized it was more entry level compared to my old Kodak which was more high end in its time.

Your input would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for your reply.

Want it (already!)
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:29 PM   #14

An idea is to find a place that has a generous / flexible return policy... and give the S2 a test run.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I personally feel the extra zoom is very worth it.. Do a search on S2 photos taken with 10-12x zoom.. they're incredible!.. It's like packing around binoculors!
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:34 PM   #15

well, if you are taking alot of pictures inside, you could do better than the S2. You typically want a lens with a wide angle for the indoors., something like 24mm so you can get it all in.

So, the S2 is a great all around camera. You can do better for you specific application, but its hard to get them all in one camera with one lens.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:12 PM   #16

vwmom,

Do you have a S2? Is there anything else you would recommend as well?

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:25 PM   #17

Hi VAtechtigger,

Quote:
well, if you are taking alot of pictures inside, you could do better than the S2. You typically want a lens with a wide angle for the indoors., something like 24mm so you can get it all in.
Well, it is pretty much the all around great camera I am looking for. Like I said, I have gotten shots that work just fine for inside houses, rooms, etc. with my old camera. So I would think the S2 would take even better shots. Only concern is that the S2 is 36mm, whereas my Kodak is 30mm. So I am wondering if I will have less of a view of a room, when attempting the shot.

That is why someone told me not to buy the A620, because it starts at 35mm. Hmmm, I guess the S2 is even worse then for that purpose. How big is the difference between the 30mm and 36mm in terms of getting the shot, like in a bedroom angle?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:26 PM   #18

SORRY the post wasn't going through and I guess I hit send twice!

Hi VAtechtigger,

Quote:
Well, it is pretty much the all around great camera I am looking for. Like I said, I have gotten shots that work just fine for inside houses, rooms, etc. with my old camera. So I would think the S2 would take even better shots. Only concern is that the S2 is 36mm, whereas my Kodak is 30mm. So I am wondering if I will have less of a view of a room, when attempting the shot.

That is why someone told me not to buy the A620, because it starts at 35mm. Hmmm, I guess the S2 is even worse then for that purpose. How big is the difference between the 30mm and 36mm in terms of getting the shot, like in a bedroom angle?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:07 AM   #19

A620 vs S2IS.. great! i am at this crossroad myself. i just can't decide which one to get. I like the zoom and IS on the S2, but then i need the compactness of the A620. Also, are the A620's 7MP/4x optical compared to the S2's 5MP/12x optical major factors in comparing these 2 models?

i have 2 days to decide, so i'll be watching for this thread. more inputs please.. thanks!
asr dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:09 PM   #20

Although is that because the S2 is an older model? There are early reports (from people who own both online) that the A620 does seem to yield a sharper, clearer picture, arguably due to better sensor.

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
The Canon A-620 may indeed be the better camera on paper, but there are some really wonderful S-2 photos out there, that make me lean more toward the S-2 than the A-620.

MT
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote