Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2006, 2:24 PM   #21

Again, I have the S2 so I cant say about the 620. I am perfectly happy about the camera. For interior shots, the wider the better. 36 is fine for me and shots of friends and such inside. 28 would be better. You can look at the kodak p850 as it has a 5 mp wide angle 12x zoom lens. Of course, it has other trade offs.

You rally need to determine what is most important and get the camera that best fits it. In digital, I have a canon SD300 for an ultra compact to take around with me to parties and such when I dont want to carry any bulk, the S2 for most all other shooting, and a minolta 5D DSLR for my art shots and specialty work like low light and sports. They all have pluses and minuses.

The S2 takes great shots, and Im sure will be a step up in quality from what you had before. Is 7 mp better than 5, sure. I would rather have the optical zoom. Im have no regrets about the camera.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:26 PM   #22

Quote:
You can look at the kodak p850 as it has a 5 mp wide angle 12x zoom lens. Of course, it has other trade offs.
Thank you so much for your input! Really apprecite it! Yes, I looked at the reviews on the Kodak P850, dp review barely gave it a recommended! I think I would prefer Canon anyway!

Wow, so hard to just pick an all around great camera. Thanks for your personal thoughts.
Want It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:56 AM   #23

This is going to be a VERY VERY tough decision. I am leaning towards the A620 due to a couple factores : higher MP, newer camera, don't need a high zoom, lower price.

:?
DJ_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:34 AM   #24

Quote:
This is going to be a VERY VERY tough decision. I am leaning towards the A620 due to a couple factores : higher MP, newer camera, don't need a high zoom, lower price.

I agree....very tough choice. I wasall set to buy the A620 weeks ago! Then got caught up in my usual research frenzie,and need to learn more. Now I have gotten a bit of a bug to learn higher photography. So I am trying to get a camera beyond my capabilities to grow with, but will take greatautomatic shots to begin with, till I learn enough to set all the manual controls.

I do really like the idea of 12x zoom, as I have always gone to the end of my 4x, and needed more.

One thing I have learned in here is, More megapixels doesn't always mean clearer photos. I am thinking thatyes, the A620 has a bit bigger sensor, But the S2 with a bit less MP's and way more zoom will result in better photos. Less MP's will take better advantage of that smaller sensor.

I have read many reviews by the pro's that say, that cramming in to many MP's without enlarging the sensor leave your photosmore degraded and lower quality.

DJ_MO

I wish you luck with your choice......I still have not been able to decide! :angry:

Want It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:26 PM   #25

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. Overall with this forum's help it was a very easy decision for me to make.

Today the Canon A620 came in . What a wonderful camera with lots of benefits. The Digic II processor is FAST even with a standard SD card picture taking and saving time was within a second. Picture quality is jaw dropping, so much detail with a 7MP shot. Video mode quality was superb (my wife thought I got a camcorder ). Theonly annoying negative, the door that hides the USB/DC power is extrmely flimsy and poorly made.

Thanks all !!

DJ_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:25 AM   #26

Hey DJ_Mo! well I went the other direction and decided on the S2is.. and I'm enjoying it very much. Like they said, you can't go wrong with either of these two models.
asr dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 2:36 AM   #27
Super Moderator

Want It wrote:
Quote:
That is why someone told me not to buy the A620, because it starts at 35mm. Hmmm, I guess the S2is even worse then for that purpose. How big is the difference between the 30mm and 36mm in terms of getting the shot, like in a bedroom angle?
why don't you look into the S70 or the S80 if you want to stick with canon.. they are fairly small, very well built cameras whos zooms start at 28mm.. this would probably be a better bet for you since you do alot of architecture.. and for landscapes of arizona with the mountains and such, this will be a much better bet..

if you want wide and telephoto.. the s9000 from fuji goes from 28mm to 300mm and offers a very nice 9mp sensor that handles noise pretty well.. its not cheap, but is one of the better fixed lens cameras out there..

nikon offers the 8400 wich starts at 24mm i think.. 8mp sensor.. would also be good for architecture and landscapes.. but i have heard the camera is not a great value as the sensor lets it down..

so if you want compact, get the s70 or s80.. if you are looking for one that goes from wide to good telephoto and probably offers the best images, get the fuji s9000...

or live with the 36mm of the S2, as it is a fun little camera...

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote