Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:57 AM   #1

Hey there everyone!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Here is my story I currently own a Canon PowerShot A80, and I had it for atleast 2 years. What I like about the camera : great 4X6 shots , love the swivel LCD screen. What I don't like about the camera : low quality movie mode, large 8x10 are slightly grainy.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The reason why I want to upgrade and get a better camera : new addition to the family and would love to get videos that is viewable in a 27" inch screen and shoot a crystal clear 8x10 shots.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I was seriously considering the Canon A620, it is a 7.1 MP camera with the ability of taking high quality video and produce clear 8x10 shots (I hope). But coming across this forum I see this camera from Canon called the Canon S2 IS camera which has a lower resolution but much larger zoom for $100 more.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I don't mind spending $100 more on a camera and from the reviews the video taken by the A620 and Canon S2 IS should be similar. But is getting a 5MP camera a foolish thing to get these days as 7-8MP is the norm. So my question is:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Is the Canon S2 IS superior in image quality compared to the A620 (in terms of CCD, optics etc)?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Is the video capabilty better or same compared between the Canon S2 IS or A620 ?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"And finally will I regret paying $470 for a 5MP Canon S2 IS when I could have gotten a 7 MP A620 for $350 ?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks and I await your response.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"-Mo:?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
DJ_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:42 AM   #2

DJ-MO-

Both the Canon S-2 and the Canon A-620 are excellent cameras and have received great professional reviews. The video features are essentially the same. The lenses are essentially the same. The big differences lie in the zoom and the IS, or image stabilization.

The A-620 does NOT have IS and has 4X optical zoom. In contrast, the S-2 does indeed have IS and it also has 12X optical zoom. Yes, there is indeed a difference in resolution. However, because you will not be making many 11" X 14" and 16" X 20" prints, the difference in resolution will be barely detectible. IMHO, I believe that having the IS and the added zoom is worth the extra expense. However, in the final analysis, only you can make the fina;l decision.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:55 PM   #3

Aside from the Optical Zoom, the real difference between the two lies with their Sensors. The A620 has a 1/1.8" which is better (larger) sensor than the one in the S2 IS (1/2.5"). Not sure if any Professional Reviews have compared the images side-by-side but owners of BOTH are reporting that the A620 yields sharper, clearer pictures....just a thought. But in the end, they are both Great Cameras- top of their class!
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:54 AM   #4

kimnicho wrote:
Quote:
Aside from the Optical Zoom, the real difference between the two lies with their Sensors. The A620 has a 1/1.8" which is better (larger) sensor than the one in the S2 IS (1/2.5"). Not sure if any Professional Reviews have compared the images side-by-side but owners of BOTH are reporting that the A620 yields sharper, clearer pictures....just a thought. But in the end, they are both Great Cameras- top of their class!
These are both excellent cameras, but I'd go with the S2 IS. A buddy of mine has one and I've had an opportunity to use it. For the extra hundred bucks, you're getting a great 12X stabilized lens and a ton of features that make the S2 a joy to use. It'll give you more room to grow than the A620 and it handles extremely well, like a small DSLR. It's video mode is top-rated and has a dedicated button, no need to movethe mode dial to activate it.You can also take full resolution stills whilefilming a video, which the A620 can't do.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:24 AM   #5

I agree with Toshi-

Perhaps we need to get away from specifications on paper and look more at the images. The S-2 output that I have seen has been very impressive. I am open to other views, but I don't even own a S-2 and I am impressed with the photos.

MT

Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Isn't it true that say for instance you take the same size sensor on two separate cameras, and have 5 MP on one, and 7 MP on the other, that the lower megapixels would result in higher quality images?

I have heard that the 7 and 8 MP's don't give you more quality in the photo, if the sensor isn't big enough?

Also, the 1/1.8 sensor is bigger than a 1/2.5? that doesn't make sense to me.

Want It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Also, the 1/1.8 sensor is bigger than a 1/2.5? that doesn't make sense to me.
Its a simple math problem. Go into your calculator and divide 1 by 1.8 = .55 inches
1 divided by 2.5 = .4 inches. Cheers

VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:24 AM   #8

VAtechtigger,

Thank you, Wow, I am embarrassed! Yes you are correct as to simple math problem. Novice here, trying to learn higher photography, and seems like all the numbers dealing with camera settings are very confusing. Higher numbers seem to always mean less in the world of photographs.
Want It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:35 AM   #9

The Canon A-620 may indeed be the better camera on paper, but there are some really wonderful S-2 photos out there, that make me lean more toward the S-2 than the A-620.

MT
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:05 PM   #10

yeah, most consumers seem to just lop off the 1/ part and say oooh, 2.5 inches, if they even look for ccd size at all.

I have the S2 and love it. its a great all around camera, the zoom is fantastic and the images are clean and crisp. If you understand the drawbacks of prosumer vs point/shoot vs DSLR, you will be more than happy with this camera.

BTW, dell has them for $425 now, and you can get a $45 dollar coupon at ebay for like a buck so that makes a good deal.

VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote