Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2006, 4:52 PM   #1

All set to buy the A620 but I really wanted the 28mm wide angle for indoor shots and I was attracted to the S80. But, I like everything about the A620:
- AA batteries
- twist LCD (smaller albeit)
- reasonably compact
- good manual modes
- good auto for the wife

So, after much thought I'm leaning toward the A620 with the wide angle adapter and lens.
My questions:
- Is there much of a hassle to put the adapter and lens on?
- Does it take 30 secs or 3 minutes
- Is there any zoom capability with WA lens in place, enough for indoor framing of shots?
- Lastly, what is the picture quality like with the Canon WA lens? I didn't see these shots in any reviews

Thanks and I appreciate your feedback.

raptoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:05 PM   #2

raptoo-

Installing an adaptor and auxillary lens takes about 90 seconds. I used a W/A attachment on my old Canon A-95 quite often and was very pleased with it.

Personally, I feel that the Canon S-80 is a bit overpriced.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:38 PM   #3

I used to use a Canon WC-DC58 with my old G2. It doesn't take long to put the converter (+adapter) on, I was still able to zoom (though really, you'd only put it on if you were at the wide end), and picture quality was quite good, though I understand that the quality deteriorates a lot with a cheap third-party converter (the WC-DC58 cost about $200 new at the time).

HOWEVER, if you're planning on taking lots of wide angle shots, I would strongly recommend buying a camera that gives you that capability built in. Even if it takes only 90 seconds to attach the converter, it was always a hassle for me, so I ended up rarely using the converter. I sometimes attached it before I left my home, and shot with it like that knowing I needed the wide angle for my shots. However, attaching the lens in the field was not something I ever looked forward to, so I rarely used it. Keep in mind that adding a converter makes your kit much larger, so it's much less convenient to carry around.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:44 PM   #4

the bac-

Back in my Canon A-95 days, I never felt the adaptor and the aux wide angle added much to my kit in terms of weight or bulk. Also I didn't mind making the change in the field, because it nwas easy and I couldn't afford a real wide angle camera at the time.

Me thinks, it is a mental attitude thing.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:07 PM   #5

Btw, I just remembered a few other issues with the converter:

1) it blocked part of the viewfinder, which made me use the LCD with it
2) it partially blocks the built-in flash (throws a shadow), so you'll need to use an external flash with it.

Plus, don't forget that it will add to the total cost of the camera b/c a decent converter (+adapter) aren't that cheap.

There are some sample shots with various converters on the following link:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/A620A610wide.html

IMO, there are only a few good reasons to go with the A620 over the S80:

-don't like the proprietary battery of the S80
-swivel LCD of the A620 is much nicer
-cost

However, in your case it seems that the additional cost is more than justified by your need for a wide angle lens. Considering that you'll want the wide angle for indoor shots (where you'll need to buy an external flash if the converter blocks the flash), the cost and size of an S80 might be less than an A620+adapter+good wide angle converter+external flash. Note that my issues were with the G2 and a converter, so I'm not certain that the same issues arise with an A620, but from what the A620 looks like (especially VF and flash positioning), I believe you'll face the same issues. See if they let you mount the adapter and converter in a store and shoot some pics, so you can compare for yourself.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:11 PM   #6

Thanks for all the good information everyone. It seems like there is no simple answer. I'll try to check it out in a store if they have all the pieces in stock. The A620 is still my preferred choice so maybe I'll go with that ahd see how much I really need the better WA capability.

No choice is clear cut any more...

One other consideration is how likely is it that the same WA lens/adapter would be useable in future iterations of the A620 - e.g. a new, yet to be announced, A730 or A850?
raptoo is offline   Reply With Quote