Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:49 PM   #1

Hi all.

I have started looking for a replacement for my Fuji S3000. I've come to the conclusion that part of the advantage of digital is that they can be small enough to fit in a pocket and still take good photo's SO

Having been looking around I am now fairly confused.

What I'm after is a few suggestions from more learned heads.

I'm after a compact camera, something that will fit in a pocket. It needs to operate on AA batteries NOT rechargable lithium as I travel lots and recharging is a pain. Yes I know this makes the camera a little bigger but that's ok.

I want something that has at least 3x optical zoom (5 or 6 would be even better). Fairly robust design and a fast shutter speed.

One annoying aspect of the S3000 was the slow response time after pressing the shutter button... and having empty photo's at a recent motorcycle racing event as the bikes had disappeared by the time the camera got 'round to actually taking the darn photo so fast shutter speed is fairly important.

Price is not the main concern but I don't want to go nuts either if I can avoid it.

Those are the main criteria, I like the look of the Nikon L1 but have read that the shutter is a little on the slow side, is this true??

Thanks in advance.

Tracy

Auckland, New Zealand
tracyprier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:16 PM   #2

Tracy-

Yes, the Nikon L-1 shutter release time is just average, although it does have 5X optical zoom. Yes, it does use AA batteries. However, there is still no published professional review of the L-1.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:07 PM   #3

tracy,

According to the following review...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CPL1/CPL1A.HTM

...the L-1 is a real slug - I can't believe it's a new model. Your S3000 is faster than this one tracy, and probably has better picture quality, too. With a startup time of 3.8 seconds, pre-focus lag of .289 seconds, and a cycle time of 4.3 seconds, this cam has to be one of the slowest of 2005 - and with a $300 price tag, too!

I don't know what your price range is, but you might want to take a look at the Fuji E900...AA batteries, 4x zoom, 9 MP, ISO 900, 1 second startup time, pre-focus lag of under 0.1 seconds, cycle time of around 1 second.

See a review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/e900.html

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:32 PM   #4

Congratulations to Rinne-

I could not find a review.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:09 AM   #5

Thanks for the input guys I like the look of the Fuji and aside from it's size and slow shutter response I have been more than happy with my current Fuji S3000.

Guy at a local camera shop commented that many people will overlook Fuji cameras in favour of Sony (for example) when he says he is very impressed with Fuji and they are not over priced like many other brands.

I asked him why a company with Nikons rep makes some very average digi cameras and his comment was that they are an old fashioned company and are slow to move with new technology.

As for the E900... sub 1/10th second response sounds pretty darn good to me, better than the S3000's 3/10th's !

Thanks again guys

Tracy
tracyprier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:58 AM   #6

cabrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:00 AM   #7

cabrino,

Stop highjacking threads...start your own, and post it where it belongs - in the Hybrid forum.

"IMO, most of us here in the forums would like to own a camera with the features of THE SANYO XACTI C 6 ..."

Couldn't be further from the truth.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote