Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:05 AM   #1

Hello all. New to the boards.Thanks to your fine posts, I am about to spend way more money than I had planned :roll:but at least I know I will be happy .

I am trying to decide whether I want to do more post image processing (D70s) or if I want to concentrate more on pictures out of the camera (D50). (Yes I realize that's not necessarily a complete debate, but hopefully someone will follow.)

Question: If I go with the D50, I will go with the kit lenses "This kit includes AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED lens and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens". If I go with the D70s I will barely be able to go with one lens. Which one should it be?

I'm all over the place as to what I 'want' to shoot, but the everyday would yield the family (hubby, 4 dogs and 5 cats); the nearby, downtown scenic, buildings, etc. (the capital, office buildings); during the summer flowers in the garden.

Previous digital experience is limited to a 2 MP Oly with no optical zoom that I have dearly loved and have some wonderful pics from - even some cropped and printed at 8x10. Previous SLR 'experience' a Canon AE-1 and a bag full of lenses I inherited used. I have fiddled with them but lose interest (forget what I did) by the time the film is developed. (I know this does not sound promising nor do I have money to blow.) But the foray into digital SLR is from an artistic perspective since I can't find a medium I enjoy since giving up oils (painting).

I am computer competent but notPhotoshop competent.

Thanks for your time...in answering this question, and in all the time you have spent answering others questions (and sharing your photos as that was what ultimately turned the tide).

Any thoughts about my question or suggestions in general will be greatly appreciated.

M

melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:52 PM   #2

Well, if you don't mind spending more money, the new Nikon 18-200 VR (around $700 I think) would be a nice one for all-around use and give you IS as well.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:31 PM   #3

Thank you. Yes that is a lovely lens. I wouldn't mind spending the money. My hubby may however have a heart attack. All I can tell him is that I'd like to get it right the first time. Won't this lens also fit the D50? I have wrestled with the D50 vs the D70s option now for a while (having abandoned the P&S ultra zoom Canon S2 IS plan).

- My impression is that if I am making a commitment to dSLR, I will wish I had spent the extra on the D70s because of a couple of features nixxed on the D50 such as DOF preview and the Commander options.

- My overall impression as well has been that for my level of experience, I might also be just as well off to wear out the D50 with 2 kit lenses.

In painting, there are student grade paints, as well as artist quality paints (likewise, pastels, etc.) and there is no end to what one can spend money on. Yes it boils down to personal preference but the learning experience (the reason we will do it in the first place as few of us will be masters after a lifetime) is influenced by the materials. (Of course from the looks of some of your pics and likewise elsewhere on the web, many of you have achieved this status as photographers.)

Therefore, though the lens or even the D70s might be considered a 'waste' on a rank amateur, I am convinced these investments are likelywarranted. Now leading my horse, err, hubby, to that water, much less getting him to drink is another question. :G

So, from that perspective, is there a 'compromise' suggestion? Either a lens or to go with the D50? Or have I narrowed the options or garbled the debate prematurely?

Gah! I wish I could make more sense to y'all without boring the stuffin' outta ya.

M
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:48 PM   #4

If cost is a concern, the D50 with the two lens kit is your better option. It is inexpensive (relatively speaking) and should cover any shooting situation you may encounter. The two lens are good (not pro-level) but do offer a lot of bang for the buck. I don't think you'll miss DOF preview (a nice option, but definetly not critical). The commander mode is also nice, but unless you plan on using multiple flashes (which requires set up and planning...it's not really useful for candid shots) I don't think you'll miss it either. Image quality between the two is very close, some would even say the D50 is slightly better, especially in low light. There are other features the D70 has that the D50 doesn't, but with your professed level of experience, I think those extra features would only muddy the waters.

Bottom line is that both are great cameras...

I may get beat up by my fellow Nikonians, but if you still have your old Canon lenses, have you considered purchasing the Rebel XT. It will be similiar to what your used to and you may be able to cover all the focal lengths with your current lens selection.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:08 PM   #5

Thanks for your response. The D50 will be a much more peaceful investment. I guess I had not gotten a very good impression about recycling those 'old' lenses but that might should have been a consideration. I just read two things that kept coming up over and over again about the Rebel XT that it had a toy like feel and use of a CMOS versus CCD censor. I guess I felt like I was less likely to truly learn if I never knew if I was learning a lesson valid for dSLR, photography in general, or a translation problem between film and digital, change in bodies, sensors, etc.

BTW, I think you are right about my professed level and that was quite an apt description of the situation. You have taken care of my two mentioned concerns about the D70s, aside from the trepidation about the huge investment. I dug the bag back out and more extensive, esoteric of them,are primarly for the Fujica ST-605, few primes, mostly zoom - two of which require their own tripod.

It is hard faced with the overwhelming popularity and by the sheer numbers adoption of the Rebel/XT, my love of my little Oly, etc. to end with the Nikon, but, over and over again, I read solid reviews without the 'except for' caveats for the others in its class.

Thanks, M

Edit for revised question(s):

p.s. also answered the question about the18-200 lens mentioned above fitting on the D50 (post from user somewhere quite happy with it), which means it is an option later when I feel that I have 'earned' it. I'm not mistaken that it would not be'wasted' on the D50 body am I?In the meantime, Iwill be able to afford the bag, memory, flash, etc. more comfortably...

Needto understand pricing regarding the above possibilities. For arguments sake, looking at a sample vendor, if I can buy theD50 body for $550 and the 18-200 lens for $750 for a total of $1,300, then are the two kitlenses (Nikkor, notSigma etc.) really only 'worth' $250 since I can buy the kit for $800? In other words, how much 'discount' of the truecost of those two lenses is there built into the kit?

Need to understand also the fallacies of these statements based on these lenses:
[*](kit2) Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 G ED AF-S Lens [/*][*](kit2) Nikkor 55-200 DX f/4-5.6G G IF-ED Lens[/*][*]Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom[/*]
If IF is internal focus and AF is auto focus (I think) then kit1 is internal and kit2is auto, I assume that is what was appropriate for the length and width.

Will the one non-kit lens provide the coverage of bothkit lenses combined in one lens without changing lenses? If not, please help me understand.

Doany/all of the lenses have the majority of the f range for the majority of the lens except at the extreme of either end?

Thanks, M
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:16 PM   #6

Just wanted to say THANKS! The 2 lens kit Nikon D50 was ordered tonight with a 1 GB SD card (Kingston Ultimate)!

Your gentle advice and patiencegave me the confidence I needed to take the plunge.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"M
Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:55 AM   #7

M,

I believe you will be happy withthe D50 and the two lenses. It is a great camera for the money. I have seen some great pics from the D50.

rpl
rplinga is offline   Reply With Quote