Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:41 AM   #1

I'm looking for a camera under $1000, but is unable to decide between the prosumer-type Sony Cybershot DSC-R1 and dSLRs.

My greatest concern about the R1 is the ability to change lense (although I'm not likely to buy a second one)

The imager of the R1, with a 10.3 MP of resolution, is what attracts me. Also I like the swinging LCD.

I'm pretty new to advanced photography, but I with to buy a model with some depth of field because I'm intended to learn.
leooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:47 PM   #2

leooz-

I am not sure where you are located in the world, perhaps Australia? But here in the USA, with the price of the Sony R-1 right at $(US)1,000, by the time you added shipping and a memory stick you would be OVER $(US) 1,000.

There are some great R-1 sample photos at the www.dpreview.com Sony Forum. Bottomline, it is a personal decision, and we know nothing, unfortunately about your experience, budget, and goals and the like. The Sony R-1 by all opinions has a great lens, but the key question is does that lens give you enough flexibility?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:49 PM   #3

Thx, MT~^^

I live in Canada. Maybe R1 is right for me? cuz i am not intended to spend money on advanced lenses...? how much do they generally cost if I want to shoot at home and lanscape telephotos?

I hav never goten serious in photography (until now) and I wanna know if the r1 will serve me for a period of time (at least 3.4 years?)
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:15 PM   #4

"Maybe R1 is right for me? cuz i am not intended to spend money on advanced lenses...?"

Yep, it sounds like the R1 is right for you.

"...I wanna know if the r1 will serve me for a period of time (at least 3.4 years?)"

It certainly should. If you find later that you'd like more range, you can always add Sony's optional lens converters. I've seen nothing but rave reviews for the R1.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:18 PM   #5

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
It certainly should. If you find later that you'd like more range, you can always add Sony's optional lens converters. I've seen nothing but rave reviews for the R1.
it seems that the converter does not deliver good image quality or somewhat bad?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:27 AM   #6

I don't get the R1 at all. If I'm going to put out that kind of money, I'd go for a DSLR like the Oly E500 or Nikon D50. Their crystal-clear optical viewfinders, greater speed, flexibility andease of operation make themfar better choices than the R1.

The R1 looks weird, too.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:53 AM   #7
Super Moderator

if you are not going to spend the money for a good lens.. the lens that comes with the R1 is better than any kit lens you will find on an amateur dlsr.. therefore, if you do not plan on splurging on a few lenses, the R1 should fit your purposes quite nicely...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:41 AM   #8

But really, how much would it cost if I want to shoot landscape telephoto
, street, portrait and some architecture designs?

And if I am getting a dSLR camera (like the Canon Rebel), will the kit lens (cost about $50 more) do me any good? or should I just buy the body part and add lens later.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:05 AM   #9

Leooz-

The average internet price of the Sony R-1, as of January 9th was $(US) 953. That does not include shipping nor any accessories.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:09 AM   #10

Thx for the info, but I'm pretty aware of zat, but I wanna know if a dSLR (eg. Rebel XT) will cost more with lens (other than the kit one)~

~Leo