Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:48 AM   #1

hi, i'm a camera nube, i just want a good camera i can take pic wit good clarity with. i intend to bring it wit me anywhere i go so i need smoething small. and these two camera's fits wat i want, but i am not sure which one i shold choose as i have no knowledge regarding cameras at all. which is the better out of the two? or if any of you guys have another suggestion?? thanks !!
kazudon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:27 AM   #2

I could be wrong, but I have not seen a single professional review of the Casio S-600 as yet, so how can one objectively make a judgement?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:02 AM   #3

Hmmm between FX9 and S600, I would go for FX9, for few consideration: Image Stabilizer andbigger LCD with higher resolution.
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:46 AM   #4

Not much to discuss here....the DMC-FX9 is by far the superior camera...
bobbybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:26 AM   #5

Actually, the FX-8 is reported to have better photo quality. It would be most interesting to compare sample photos from both.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:20 PM   #6

I think you can sample yourself to death trying to compare pictures on various cameras unless there is one that is just lousy. The average user more than likely cannot tell any difference when using a point and shoot camera. I think more importantly are the features and ease of use. I had a Canon SD550 that seemed to be a great camera and the reviews would back that up. 'The only problem I had was absolutely horrible red-eye...I took it back and got the FZ9 which I am extremely happy with. I also have a FZ20 which is absolutely great in my opinion.

From what I have read the FX9 has some needed improvments over the 8. I guess from all the digital cameras I have owned I would have to say the Panasonics overall are the best.
bobbybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:39 PM   #7

i read that the S-600 doesnt have a optical stabilizer but it has a "anti-shake" mode. so there is only image stabilization in the mode and none in the other mode? is it good to always use that mode to shoot? or is it bad cuz it changes the ISO and stuf?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:51 PM   #8

Optical stabilization is much more effective than electronic anti shake, and optical stabilization doesn't degrade the image like electronic stabilization.

I think you are referring to the scene modes and I don't know how well they work in the S600 as there aren't any good reviews yet. I can pretty much guarantee the anti-shake won't be as effective as the FX9 though.

I have a different model Casio which I am very happy with, so I'm not prejudiced against the brand. But the S series have all had Casio lenses with their transparent ceramic technology and haven't had the best photo quality.

The FX9 is a nice little camera, but the small camera I would buy today if I wanted a small camera without an optical viewfinder is the Sony T9. It has optical stabilization plus good higher ISO capability with decent noise. The combination makes for a versatile camera. It also has a good quality LCD – probably about the same as the FX9. The S600 LCD is much lower in quality.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:25 AM   #9

i was thinking of getting the T-9 as well, but wen i asked the people at sony store, they said it wont be in stock until a couple of months later. and i've heard sony camera has many flaws. so is it a better choice to buy the t-9 over the fx-9? the reason i'm being so picky is because this camera is probably going to last me a good 3-4 years, so i need a to make good choice, and a choice that i wont regret.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:55 PM   #10

Here is a review of the S600
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ra-Review-.htm

It seem it is "just" a S500 with a more MP- 6 instead of 5.
Sharing the same pro and cons like her smaller sister (Imagequality - LCD) It´s just much to expansive!
The price of the S500 now make it a very good choice in my eyes.
But it has some limitations keep this in mind.
Abbuzze is offline   Reply With Quote