Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:53 AM   #1

I would love to get feedback on which pocket-size camera is the best one going these days. Either 5 or 7MP. Top priority is print quality. Considering Casion EX Z-120, Casio Z-750, or Canon SD-550. Take a lot of beach (scenery) prints and photo's of friends at local gatherings. I have the Kodak DX-7590 (5MP) at home already, but find that it is too bulky to carry on a regular basis. Thanks! JMK
jeannie110670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:24 AM   #2

Clearly of the cameras mentioned, the SD-550 leads the list for pocket size and great photo quality. That is not to knock the Casio's, but the SD-550 has the edge.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 7:31 PM   #3

Perhaps you don't like the Canon SD-550. Here is an alternative. Take a look at the Kodak V-530. Here is a sample V-530 photo.
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:57 AM   #4

How about a Kodak CX7530, 5mp ,compact and takes great pictures.I have one as a second camera.Great value for money
This picture is straight from camera resized only

Wrynose Pass , Lake District UK

good luck with your choice

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:01 AM   #5

Tommy's Dad-

Frankly, I was amazed today at the performance of our Kodak V-530. It is an amazing digital camera. Here is an example photo taken today at 75 mph WITHOUT stopping as we transited from California to Oregon. It amazed me.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:18 AM   #6
Super Moderator

i am going to put in a vote for the Panasonic Fx9.. one of the smallest digicams out there.. image stabilization allows you to keep the ISO's lower (good, as it gets noisy above 160)... and a great lens..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:51 AM   #7

But Hards-

Now let's be honest shall we? There is a WHOLE lot of difference between a Kodak V-530 costing just $200 on the internet and the Panasonic FX-9 costing almost $400. Let's get REAL here folks!

MT
Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:55 AM   #8
Super Moderator

very true... but w/ the canon 550 and casio 750 mentioned, it is an entirely logical option, since it is a direct competitor w/ these cams.. and thus the 300-400 would be within his budget..

also in this higher dollar class... and also worth looking at is the fuji f10.. good in low light, and its 6.3 sensor outresolves almost all compact p&s cams..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 4:55 AM   #9

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Tommy's Dad-

Frankly, I was amazed today at the performance of our Kodak V-530. It is an amazing digital camera. Here is an example photo taken today at 75 mph WITHOUT stopping as we transited from California to Oregon. It amazed me.

MT

Thats a crackin shot MT,to say you were goin 75 mph . There are a lot of people out there who underestimate kodak cameras, and don`t include them as a buyableoption.

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:12 AM   #10

I tip my hat to Hards-

Yes, the FX-9 is well within the budget range of the poster. You are indeed correct. I am just a bit surprised at the rather amazing performance of the Kodak V-530.

I don't own the FX-9, but I have been led to believe that the FX-8 performs better optically and image-wise than the FX-9. Can you give me any data on that issue?

MT