Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:28 PM   #1

I am posting this here, and the Canon sub-forum.. I'm a Mom.. I'm a perfectionist. and when it comes to new purchases, I'm not afraid to stand in the return line if I feel I got ripped off.. or if I have the slightest feeling that my purchase doesn't feel like a new part of the family.

I'm the one that spends hours upon hours.. reading reviews.. talking to salespeople.. checking for 'resales and refurbs' on Ebay.. The things you need to be concerned about before you spit out a few hundred clams. I read.. and take into account all the good and bad comments. In the end, the purchase is up to me. Please don't start debates on this post.. I'm starting this thread in order to begin a clean slate on specifics.. hopefully in the end result help others make the descision that will benifit them aswell. I'm going to try and avoid making too many references to what I've read or heard previous to this.. As my opnion is that. EVERYONE sees the world different.

That being said...

My ship sails in a day or two.. It's a 30 day trip.. Either it will be a one way voyage, and I will stay on the island.. or I will be returning home only to book with another agent.

I had in my hands the A610 for a total of 3 1/2 weeks. I had 2 incidents of powerup issues, but nothing that concerned me overlly.

The S2 came on sale.. The idea of the extra zoom and IS impressed me the most.

Because it was under 30 days, I took the 610 back.. My S2 should be in today or tomorrow. I plan to 'play hard' with it for the next month to make sure it's a keeper..

My concern is that I plan to keep this camera for some time.. I've read a largenumber ofproblems.. none of which are selcuded to thismodel..They are issueswith digital cameras as a whole. This forum isn't a good example of this..but googledoes wonders. If you search for problems.. you will find them..with anything.

I know with ANY electronic device there are ALWAYS lemons in the bunch.. Looking back, I wished I had not seen the comments, as now when my camera gets here I will be 'looking' for problems. I seem to notice though, it is partially the same people in various forums talking about the same things.. So maybe it's just 'nitpickers' trying to make the deal bigger than what it truely is. I am going to try very hard to be openminded.

In regards to photo quality and capability in certains discussions.. I've heard slim to nothing. This is the most important purpose of a new camera isnt' it?

There are 2 other cameras that have a 'backseat' right now.. I won't even mention the exact models, because we all know the competetors in the same exact price bracket with similar options.

The Sony.. doesn't feel 'right' in my hand.. so I think that one's out comepletly (I have LONG piano fingers).. The Panasonic.. well.. I like the fact that I see few complaints about mechanical issues.

As for picture quality and examples I've seen.. the S2 is by far my favorite, as in regards to the video it produces (important to me with 2 toddlers.. I don't always have time to grab the camcorer for those 'moments'). I have seen what's possible with this camera.. and basea lot on that.. I take crappy photos, and am learning.. So judging my final decision will not be based on myphoto composition. It sucks right now.. and I'll behonest on that.

My end descion will be based on camera quality, lack of mechanical or technical issues and 'comfort' of the camera in whole.

The BIGGEST feature of this camera that attracts me is the swivel LCD.. withe two young toddler boys.. This has become a priceless feature.. The little time I spent with the 610.. I used it a LOT.. Christmas concerts.. in the back of audiences.. oh.. being alone with my boys a lot too.. Self photos with the camera in my hand is awesome..I can actually frame a photo of myself! lol I was in a car accident and was able to take photos of the underside of the car without laying on the ground (there was 'car juice' everwhere). I attend a lot of car shows.. I know this will be great in busy stadiums

Inmy endless contemplation.. I havealso looked at this sub forum discussions compared to the Panasonic... Theirs has over 7000 posts.. where Canon has less than half. The Canon group unfortunatly has more 'bitching' posts, where as the Panasonic is talking about 'photography'... Maybe just a more positive group? Come on guys.. get with it!

As for my new camera.. yes.. I'm going to be picky. For 650.00 Canadian.. I could spend the money on a lot of other things. I want a camera that I feel good about and want topack everywhere ..seeing my kids grow a few years. I plan to keep it for 3-4 years before upgrading. My last camera lasted 4 yrs... and I was even able to sell itand put the money towards my new purchase.. The only thing my old Sony did over all that time was slow a bit.. I never experienced anything die (pixel or power).

Anyway... When I pick it up, I will post my thoughts and questions as they come up..

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:40 PM   #2

hahaha, car juice. Thats priceless.

The S2 is a good camera. I love mine and use it 80% of the time. For the hard to shoot occasions I use my DSLR. You cant beat the zoom though.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:06 PM   #3

Swung by the store.. not in yet.. auuugh.

Yeah... lol.. I was a mechanic for a few years, thought up that term on my own.. LOL. Figure this one.. f/t mechanic.. part time model.. lol.. (before the kids). :lol:
Old Jan 10, 2006, 2:17 PM   #4

If you look at my posts for about the last month, you'll see me going through much the same thought process you seem to be going through. I wasn't looking at the 610 or 620 from some capabilities I knew they didn't have, but certainly looked at the Sony and Panasonic (as well as some less conventional options).

For me, the deciding factors were a $200 gift card I received for Christmas to Best Buy (which doesn't carry the Panasonic), and the ability to use the zoom while shooting video.

I've posted a few hundred shots I've taken with my S2 to my Flickr account (flickr.com/ewang), and have been pleased with most of the results. Generally the bad shots have been me trying something I wasn't sure I could pull off, or hitting another button at the same time - I have rather large fingers.

I think you'll be pleased with the end results if you choose to stay with the S2, and are unlikely to end up suffering from most of the problems you've probably read about. Particularly when it comes to the "soft" focus of the Canon - I just haven't seen it. But it's possible I like it a little softer than other folks, so consider the source.

Feel free to drop me an email if you have any specific questions,
Ewan

EwanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:36 AM   #5

Ewan.. I wasn't able to find your album.

OK.. Got it. First acounts as I carefully unpacked it... I love Canon's packaging.. hehe

Anyway.. packed under the manuals sat the S2, pack of batteries, 16mb SD card, neck strap, usb and a/v cables.

Double wrapped.. took camera out.

Put batteries and SD card in.. Attached neck strap and looped lense cover.

First thoughts.. I thought that the lense camera would have some sort of 'click' for it to stay on.. This is not the case.. It basically 'sit's / rather than attach. It's fine.. I can see it not being totally secure. But I have read various 'tricks' to make it snugger.. I will try this at a later point.

Before I powered up the camera.. First thought ... 'hmm.. ok.. thats def. not a huge lcd'.. benefit.. saves on powere?.. that would be nice.. we'll see I guess. But once I had her up and running, the lcd looked much bigger. Seriously though.. why would you need a larger lcd?

First thing she asked me to do was set date / time and then was ready to run.

Took a couple test shots.. played with buttons.. I LOVE all the buttons!.. Keep in mind I haven't touched the manual yet. I wanted to play before I learned.

Buttons that stick out to me.. There is a little guy on the left to record memos onto photos as you're reviewing them. Obivous power on, this is a jog dial.. simple touch of top powers it out. Standard menus, set, video record..

I LOVE the fact that you need to lightly pop the flash up for use. With my old Sony this was one of my biggest peeves.. I am glad to know when I don't want the flash on auto.. all I have to do is make sure it's down. BIG plus. The 610 that I took back, was honestly pissing me off with the auto flash. (that's just me)

The camera feels solid. It weights well in my hand. I have long skinny piano fingers.. But rather large hands overall. I can reach all the buttons I need to while shooting with a few fingers.

This is my first camera with a neck strap.. BIG top up on the 610.. Another cheese.. anytime I'm between shots, I end up having to carefully place it down in a safe kid free spot, free of drinks on table, etc. Even with the 610 you would be unable to do this.. a wrist strap just isnt' the same.

One goofy little thing.. As noted earlier.. I'm a perfectionist.. Loose screws.. tiny marks.. all those type of things drive me NUTS unless I know its a normal part of the camera. Sooo.. this brings my first silly question to all other S2 owners. It's in regards to the part of the camera that holds the batteries / camera grip. It seems like the outmost housing skin that surrounds the batteries is the tiniest bit 'wiggly' .. Not the structure itself, but rather the 'skin' type plastic. When holding the camera, tilting side to side, the changing pressure of my hand makes a little click sound. Can someone(s) try it on theirs?.. Grab the camera lightly with your right hand and gently tip it back and forth right to left.. Do you feel/ here the plastic shift? *lol.. sounds like the beginning of the 620/610 tilted button discussion..lol.. One of those things that in no possible way affects the camera, but bugs ya..lol I tried tightening the 2 tiny screws on the right side, but I don't have a screw driver that small. Thoughtheydon'tappear loose with the naked eye.

That's it for now.. It's 11:30 at night.. I stil have studying to do for the night, then gymnastics with my boys in the morning.. After some housecleaning in the afternoon, I'll get back to my new baby.

Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:27 PM   #6

I have the S1 and I love it, for the flash there is a button that lets you adjust if you want the flash on or off(not in Auto).

Fit and Finish on mine was excellent when I received it.

I found Ewang pics, http://flickr.com/photos/ewang
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:21 AM   #7

Well.. So far.. so good.. I'm truly in love Still at the goofing around point.. I have exams later this week, so can't spend a lot of time on her yet. The wiggle in the plastic.. yes.. driving me batty.. so I ordered in a new one.. I'll hold onto this one until it's in. Tried tightening the screws with no change. This prob wouldn't bug most people.. but me.. yes.

Tonight I was goofing around with color swap and accents and stuff.. Stuff I never got on my older Sony.. I know it's a lot of stuff you can do with photoshop.. but gosh.. when using it on the camera.. you get a LOT more inspired :-)

I need to track down a case still. I wanted to get the Lowpro 100 or 110 I've heard others use, but they were sold out. I have to drive into another city later this week, so I will keep my eye out.

I wanted to name her.. but it doesn't seem right to name this one, while her sister that will be coming home, is sitting on a stock shelf somewhere.. :?

Anyway.. more to come..

Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:35 PM   #8

Wiked!!.. I got a price match today on her.. 100.00 back!! oh yeaaaahhh..

Done exams today.. Going to play tomorrow
Old Jan 19, 2006, 2:52 AM   #9

Hehe.. got my replacement today.. No. casing/ grip isn't supposed to be loose.. My new camera is nice and tight The other one was sent back to Canon.

Now... she needs a name Clarabel is what I'm thinking :?