Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:27 AM   #11

Hi!

It's been a while since my last vist to this forum, but finally I found some time to visit a camera shop.

I haven't bought a camera yet, but I've got a good first impression of different camera's.

I still like the panasonic camera's. The LZ2 is a good compromise between a small camera and it's bigger broter, the FZ5.
The FZ5 is bigger (I definitely don't want a camera bigger than this one), but has 12x zoom. I think I'll like that feature in the field.
I also like the LX1. I haven't seen it in the shop, but it has great features. Unfortunately it's expensive and everyone complains about the noise (I don't want to spend lots of time on postprocessing the noise). How is the noise of this camera compared to other panasonic camera's?

On the other hand, I like the ultracompact camera's like the fuji f11. They don't have that much zoom (3x) but they are not so big.

My conclusion: I still don't know what I want... I can't choose!

I think I'll sleep a couple of nights on this, read more reviews in the meanwhile and then finally make a decision. Damn, choosing a camera is hard! :?

Atje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
I also like the LX1. I haven't seen it in the shop, but it has great features. Unfortunately it's expensive and everyone complains about the noise (I don't want to spend lots of time on postprocessing the noise). How is the noise of this camera compared to other panasonic camera's?
The LX1 is noisier than the other Panasonic cameras you are considering. You would probably need noise software only for large prints or extreme crops though. Viewing full screen or printed up to 8 X 10 it is probably acceptable for most shots. Download some sample photos and see what you think. If you view an 8Mp image at 100% (where you have to scroll to see the entire image) and compare it to a 5Mp image you are effectively blowing up the larger image and the noise is more visible. But display them both at the same size and noise often isn't as bad in comparison.

Steve put the LZ2 on his best cameras list. That doesn't necessarily mean it will fit your needs, but it does indicate a reasonable all-round competence compared to other cameras he reviews.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 5:32 PM   #13

It is just a personal opinion, of course, but I believe that the Olympus C-7000 (7.1mp, 5 X Optical zoom), the Fuji E-900 (9mp, 4 X Optical zoom), or the Fuji F-10 (6.3mp, 3X Optical zoom) would make excellent traveler's cameras.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:00 PM   #14

if you are not used to a large camera and not dedicated to bring it with you all the time,theres agood chance you wouldend up leaving it packed away..and missing out on lots of pictures...a good ultracompact will be with you all the time...have you considered casio z120 or z750?
Paulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:56 PM   #15

Paul-

When you get down to precise camera size you will find that there is not much difference in size between the Casio 120Z and the Olympus C-7000. So why are we eleiminating cameras that are really excellent? IMHO size is relative.

MT
Old Jan 21, 2006, 9:27 AM   #16

I made a choice, I've bought the Sony Cybershot DSC-H1!

The first choice I made what kind of camera I wanted: an ultra-compact one or a bigger one with better features like 12x zoom. I compared lots of different camera's, and I tried some of them out. I think I'll love a great zoom range. I think it's perfect for photographing animals, nature and other interesting things in Australia (or whereever).

Of course it's a bit bigger, but I'll need a camerabag anyways. Somehow I always break and scratch stuff I put in my pockets (like my phone... ), so I don't want to put an expensive camera in there.

In the shop I compared the DSC-H1 with the Panasonic FZ5. I liked both camera's, but the Sony just feels better. It's a bit bigger and heavier, but the camera doesn't give me the empty plastic toy-feeling which I had with the FZ5. Besides that, the Sony has te ability

So I've bought the Sony. I tried it out indoors and it gives good results. I haven't tried it out outdoors, because at te moment we've got a typical Dutch weater with lots of rain.

Atje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 9:50 AM   #17

Atje-

Congratulations on your new Sony H-1. It is an excellent camera and it will give you good service. Enjoy oit and post a few photos as well, please.

MT
Old Jan 23, 2006, 5:14 AM   #18

Hello Atje

Congratz!!! For your new Sony Cybershot DSC-H1…………….It's a good camera and now when you have bought one I am sure you will love to read some reviews…..m posting them just see if you like

http://www.inods.com/iNods/search.js...bershot+DSC-H1[/b]

Anny is offline   Reply With Quote