Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:46 PM   #1

Hello all!

What kind of camera would be adequate for photographing art pottery for use in a refernce guide/book? I have an older Olympus digital which is about 4 years old. Probably 3.1 megapixels. I've taken some photo's using it and they are ok, but not great. Part of that may be the Olympus software which I don't think is very robust.

I plan to use one of the EZ Light cubes and one other larger background. I have several of their lights as well. The pottery is high gloss so glare is a consideration.

Other considerations are a camera that has an AC adapter and possibly a USB directly to my laptop. I would like to be able to view the pictures without the hassle of removing the smart card, etc. A friend recommended the Nikon 8800 series. Is that overkill?

Thanks in advance.

sherman
shermanhvn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:42 PM   #2

re the Nikon 8800, not sure how the 10x zoom is handy for static art pottery. Also not sure what you mean by Olympus software? Your camera must save pictures as jpgs allowing you to use any photo editing software for post-prod.

If I was to recommend a camera based on your detail so far, Id say Canon Powershot A620. Pretty decent camera and you might be able to get a good deal on it. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a620.html
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I haven't used any software for photo work other style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"than what was provided by Olympus. CamMedia I think is their software. It doesn't play well with Windows XP.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'll check out your recommendation.
shermanhvn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:15 PM   #4

Maybe you should consider a camera that does higher ISO well, that way you are not married to brighter lights and the associated glare.
I would look at Photoshopp Elements for editing software. I have been really suprised how easy it has been to pickup on it's use just by following a few online tutorials.
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote