Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:44 PM   #1

I have decided to buy the Cannon digital Rebel XT.:-) I have been taking digital photos for a while with a pretty crummy camera, and am ready to make that next step. I had a package all picked out-then I called to order it. Somehow I went from $1000 to $1899 in about 5 minutes.:? I decided to wait a day or two before I ordered, so now I feel like I am back at square one. Please help me figure out what is best for me, not the company I buy from. I am new to the SLR world, so it is getting pretty confusing.

First, I want a good lens. I will mostly be taking pictures of my (young) kids, playing sports and sitting still.Do I need a Sigma lens? The sales guy seemed to think so. Or a lens with IS? Next, I want a battery that will be worthwhile. It seems the package that I picked had a battery that lasted 30 minutes. The guy wanted to sell me on a 5 hour battery. Worth it? Then there is the card. I there really a difference between a 512 card and a 512 high speed card? Or a 512 and 1 gig card?

Any help would be appreciated.:G Also, if possible, I would like to know a good place to buy this camera from online. Thanks!

Roselane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:48 PM   #2

You sound like you were calling a less than reputable store (going from $1000-$1899 in 5 minutes!). Don't call them back, try a reputable store next time (like B&H, Adorama, Amazon, Buydig, Beach Camera). There are many stores out there trying to sell you a bunch of unnecessary accessories at inflated prices. The salesperson was lying to you left and right. The standard battery for the Rebel XT lasts a good couple hours (several hundred shots). The Rebel XT can take advantage of a high-speed card, but most amateurs (unless they're shooting sports) aren't really going to need it.

May I ask which store you called?

You can check seller ratings at resellerratings.com. Make sure they have lots of ratings, and good ones at that. Also read the comments--if any read like yours (went from $1000 to $1899, told me I needed a different battery, etc.), that's a red flag and you shouldn't buy there. DO NOT use a different ratings site, it seems that other sites, like shopcartusa.com and the like have been taken over by scammers. Make sure you get the name right (for example, BuyDig is a reputable store, but IBuyDig are scammers).

As far as what lenses to recommend, it really depends on your budget. If you're not sure yet, just get the Rebel XT with the Kit Lens for now, and get another lens later. For now, get at least a 512 MB card, but 1 GB would probably be better if you want to take advantage of the XT's 8MP and/or RAW. Get your memory card from newegg.com, people seem to be happy with it, and they have very good prices. Again, make sure you're not calling any of those (I suspect: Brooklyn) scam artists again. Have you considered buying the camera locally from a Staples/Ritz/Wolf/..?
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:21 PM   #3

You know, I saw the listed price and all the accessories and thought it was a good deal. I checked out the site you mentioned and will probably go with Buydig. The "other" company company is in New Jersey.

Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:21 PM   #4

You know, I saw the listed price and all the accessories and thought it was a good deal. I checked out the site you mentioned and will probably go with Buydig. The "other" company company is in New Jersey.

Thanks for the info.