Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Please vote for suggestion
KM Maxxum 5D 9 52.94%
Canon Digital Rebel XT/350D 4 23.53%
Olympus E-500 Evolt 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 15, 2006, 6:39 PM   #11

ellover009 wrote:
Quote:
Is it me or are all these ppl owners of konica minoltas? The Konica is a fine machine but unless u got a big lens over 250mm then u don't need the antishake because the camera should be fast enough to capture the immage. get urslef a nice rebel xt or a nikon d5, or a nice pentax
Well, that may seem the case, but Iboughtone because I was asking the same question when shopping for an entry level DSLR. Weighing the pros and cons of each systemI felt the KM 5D was the way to go (for my needs) and so far have no regrets. The others mentioned are all fine picture taking machines and would be great for a first DSLR. And no, you don't need a big lens for the antishake to be effective. It makes a big difference with my 18-70 indoors. Gotta love hand holding 1/6 second exposures and having them blur-free!
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:52 AM   #12

Further clarification........

My kids are in music and theatre. Therefore, I take many photos inside; in low light, and without a flash. I currently have an Olympus c-700. I love the 10x lens, but indoor photos from any distance turn out very grainy.

I want to keep the ability to zoom, but improve the lowlight pics. Will a DSLR help?

JbradleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:08 AM   #13

JbradleyA wrote:
Quote:
Further clarification........

My kids are in music and theatre. Therefore, I take many photos inside; in low light, and without a flash. I currently have an Olympus c-700. I love the 10x lens, but indoor photos from any distance turn out very grainy.

I want to keep the ability to zoom, but improve the lowlight pics. Will a DSLR help?
A few points:

1. The graininess is a result of higher ISOs. Noise characteristics are dependant on sensor size and in-camera noise reduction algorithms. In general, DSLRs perform better in this category than digicams. The primary reason is they have a larger sensor. So, yes a DSLR will perform better. But, you need to look at which ones perform better at the ISOs you will need: 800, 1600 and beyond (3200).

2. Without flash, you really are going to want a camera capable of good ISO 1600 pictures - so again we are down to the KM and the 350. The evolt just doesn't perform well at this level. I also think you're going to want a lens capable of f2.8 or better as you will have some movement (but not much). That adds about $800 to the price tag for a third-party 70-200 2.8 (like the Sigma 70-200 2.8) though given the distances you are from the action. There are less expensive prime lenses (like Canon's 50mm 1.8 for $70 or 85mm 1.8 for $360) but you need to be clsoer to the action and they are prime lenses. You might be able to get by with a f4 lens but I doubt it - i think it would be a lot of hit/miss and you'd be at ISO 1600 all the time.

If you do wish to go DSLR, I strongly recommend handling both cameras. I know when I tried the 350 in a store I just didn't like the small size. For others it is an advantage. I've also never tried the KM so can't talk about it's ergonomics.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:28 AM   #14
Super Moderator

the km 5d with its image stability built in and its very low noise even at high ISO ratings is a perfect camera for indoor theatre type shots.. for this purpose and as a general purpose introductory dslr, i cannot think of a better suggestion than the 5d..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:39 PM   #15

One more wrinkle..........should I also be considering the Nikon D50, and how does it compare with the KM 5D?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:53 PM   #16
Super Moderator

the d50 has the same sony 6.1 mp sensor, but because of different image processors, it offers a little different image.. which you prefer is really dependent on personal preference..

for your shooting needs, the built in stabilization of the km 5d offers a better solution.. it is true you can get image stabilized lenses for the nikon, but they will be more costly.. unless you are bent on the nikon system, the image stabilization in body on the 5d makes it a better value in my opinion..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:24 PM   #17

I would agree, and I own a D50 and D70. If I could justify the purchasing another body and lens system, I'd buy the 5D today, just for the type of shooting you mention.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:39 AM   #18

Now that KM has announced that it is going out of the camera business does that effect any recommendations. I am worried about service. The Nikon is looking better every day...if it only had image stabilization I would buy it today :?
Old Jan 20, 2006, 6:58 AM   #19

:? For all of the experienced users out there

I am having the same complication, My choices are:

1. Nikon D50 - Only problem is the lack of DOF Preview that I think it is a-must. 928.481$

2. Olympus E-500 - CCD cleaner, Expensive (where I live), 8MP1,172$

3. Canon Digital-Rebel XT - Feels cheap, Great optics, 8MP, Smallsize1,127$

4. Pentax IST DS2 - More expensive then the Rebel (where I live), Smallest 1,351$

5. Nikon D70s - Not an option for me TOO BIG, like it smaller

After reading LOT of reviews and articles for days and day, I found myself again and again narrowing my possibilities to Canon and Nikon for those reasons:

1.Wide range of lenses and compatibility

2.Leaders in their business and will sure lead the market in the future

3. Overall users opinion and reviews scores better toward those two

So I am still really confused with all the selection procedure, I love to shoot nature and family and friends photos also I like very much the DOF in photos where the background is blurred and subject 'popping-out' from the image, I like to have great manual control for me to grow with my camera, I want to have options for my creativity.

I considered PS cameras but after reading a lot I always turned on by SLR cameras:

1. Low noise

2. Greart low-light capabilities

3.Many manual controls

4. Durability

5. Depth-Of-Field (background blurred)

6. Speed of operation

7. Better batteries life

Before that I considered the Panasonic FZ5 that have a X12 Zoom, Image stabilization and good overall photo quality, compact.

But as I know myself I want my creativity to expend and be limited by the tool and the Zoom is a great feature but not a-must-have option.

So can you help me to decide, I will really appreciate that.

Regards,

Idan

Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:40 AM   #20

I don't find the lack of DOF preview a huge issue. Typically, I would only use it in macro photography to evaluate sharpness throughout the image, however now that I have a dedicated macro lens and a better lighting setup, I use it even less as i can achieve consistant results without it. In practice, the viewfinders of many dslr's are so dark (compared to regular film slrs) that it becomes difficult to use DOF preview, especially for smaller aperatures. I may be misunderstanding you, but it seems as if you believe DOF preview is what creates the blurred background. If so, that is incorrect...the aperature size you choose is determines your depth of field. The DOF preview function only stops your lens down to the aperature you've chosen so you can evaluate what your DOF will look like. Again, in theory this is great, but as I said before, especially with smaller aperatures, often the viewfinder is too dark to really get a good sense of what DOF will be. If you need a blurred background, just make sure you select as large an aperature as possible, and put as much distance between the subject and background as is feasible.

Good luck!!

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote