Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Please vote for suggestion
KM Maxxum 5D 9 52.94%
Canon Digital Rebel XT/350D 4 23.53%
Olympus E-500 Evolt 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:55 AM   #31

kjeal wrote:
Quote:
From a image stabilisation standpoint:-

My opinion is if someone gets the KM 5D, they sould have to 'write' off this camera when they upgrade the body to something bigger as the additional lenses you would buy do not have IS.
I don't expect sony to discontiue this feature (only my opinion of course:G) It has been too well received, and after all the KM people will still be making the camera...the branding is the only thing changeing. Sony may never has as many bodies as Nikon and Canon (thereby limiting upgrade paths anyway), but I expect them to continue to grow and evolve any future cameras around their current features including Anti-Shake.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:52 PM   #32

HHHEEELP ! I am going mad deciding beetwin Canon Rebel XT and Nikon D50 ?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Does anybody here have the Rebel and can post some photos or photos links ??
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:08 PM   #33
Administrator

Idan wrote:
Quote:
HHHEEELP ! I am going mad deciding beetwin Canon Rebel XT and Nikon D50 ?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Does anybody here have the Rebel and can post some photos or photos links ??
Check the reviews here at http://www.steves-digicams.com

You'll find sample images from each camera reviewed here (with some of the same subjects, too).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:20 PM   #34
Administrator

DrDictionary1 wrote:
Quote:
My preferred cameras are the Nikon D50, the KM 5D, and the Canon EOS 350d. If you wanted to do in-camera DOF evaluation, you can eliminate the Nikon D50. I'm not sure about the KM 5D, but the Rebel definately has the DOF preview.
The KM 5D has DOF preview (dedicated button on the front of the camera.

But, as others have already pointed out, it's not a very used (or useful) feature on a DSLR. Today's viewfinders just don't work well enough to accurately judge Depth of Field. So, I wouldn't consider the lack of this feature to be a problem.

Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:30 PM   #35

But as far as I hear the New Olympus E-330 will have the ability to show the DOF on the LCD ! COOL !
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:09 PM   #36
Administrator

Idan wrote:
Quote:
But as far as I hear the New Olympus E-330 will have the ability to show the DOF on the LCD ! COOL !
In Live View mode A (the only mode that allows Autofocus), which uses a miniature CCD in the viewfinder chamber, DOF will not be representative (mostly because of the size of the sensor), and the live view will not allow you to magnify the image.

In Live View mode B (more useful for Macros), the image can be magnified up to 10x and DOF should be representative. This mode uses the camera's main sensor, requires manual focus, and will not allow the use of the viewfinder when in this mode (it will be blocked by the mirror). Shutter release in this mode will also be delayed by approximately 1 second.

Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:22 PM   #37

Hey idan, I actually started a forum about the Rebel XT vs. the D50. Check it out here.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:38 PM   #38
Administrator

We've "hijacked" a thread started by forum member JbradleyA. I let it continue since multiple forum members were interested in the same models.

But, it's not fair to the original poster(s) to let it keep on going indefinitely (especially since each new post can result in e-mail notifications to participants in the thread).

So, if you're trying to decide between these camera models, let's start new threads rather than continuing to use this one.

Thanks!

Old May 28, 2006, 5:17 PM   #39

Why? The new lenses should work with AS too. Even a non Minolta lens (MD, Canon mount, Nikon mount) should have AS when use with this camera.

kjeal wrote:
Quote:
From a image stabilisation standpoint:-

My opinion is if someone gets the KM 5D, they sould have to 'write' off this camera when they upgrade the body to something bigger as the additional lenses you would buy do not have IS.
duythanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 5:22 PM   #40

Hi,

I don't understand this. Isn't the DOF review on the 5D showed the effect on the viewfinder which is a glass viewfinder. I think this is an important feature since judging the DOF on the LCD is very hard (Given that you took the test pic and view on the LCD). I rather see the DOF from the viewfinder.

Thanh

JimC wrote
Quote:
The KM 5D has DOF preview (dedicated button on the front of the camera.
But, as others have already pointed out, it's not a very used (or useful) feature on a DSLR. Today's viewfinders just don't work well enough to accurately judge Depth of Field. So, I wouldn't consider the lack of this feature to be a problem.
duythanh is offline   Reply With Quote