Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:53 PM   #1

I have been researching to buy a hi-res compact with auto & manual controls and lots of zoom. A full size DSLR is not an option at the moment - next time!

So far I am favouring the Canon A620 and the Fuji E900. This is mainly based on the specs and Steve's reviews. But there is a problem!

The A620 review is fantastic! - I almost went out and ordered it on the spot. But wait! there must be other alternatives!! And I want thefreedom to crop that the higher resolution will give.Then I spotted the Fuji E900.

Now, reading between the lines of Steve's E900 review, it sounds like the reviewer was not very impressed with the camera. It's really just a coverage of the specs and menu system. Nothing on the image quality, etc. Basically, it reads like the camera is a dog, but we can't say that here, right?

Comments, Steve? Is my reaction valid?

Is the extra resolution, ISO800, and fixed LCD screen worth an extra $100? (Yeah, I know, a hard question to answer. But everything else being equal, it's about right for me)

One big thing that holds me back from the Fuji is my experience with the 6800Z. The lens only seems to have a lifespan of 18-24 months - like safetly out of warranty. My third lens is dying (it won'tzoom in any more), and at half the price of the camera, I'm reluctant to buy into the same sort of problems again.

So, What's the deal? Isthe E900garbage, or what?

David

KiwiExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2006, 5:12 AM   #2

Well, I wouldn't exactly say it's garbage but when comparing the Fuji E900 with the Canon A620, the Fuji definetely has some things missing.
For instance, even if it packs a bigger sensor, it also packs more megapixels and I really doubt that really works when it comes to performance.
I would go with the Canon or even consider other cameras like the Sony DSC-V3. I have owned the V3 and it is a beautiful little machine.
I don't really think the extra pixels that the Fuji packs are really worth while.
Hope this was of some help to you. Cheers!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:18 AM   #3

DCResource reviewed the E900. I'm not impressed by its image quality, e.g. there are too many CAs.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:34 AM   #4

Thanks zygh (how do you pronounce that?), very helpful.

I'm still trying to get my head around how higher resolution does not necessarily mean better pictures.

Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:35 AM   #5

CAs? that's a new one on me...
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:56 PM   #6

KiwiExpat, I'm glad I could be of help.

One more thing I'd like to add.
The beautiful thing with Sony's DSC-V3 is that is has a little something called "Night Shot" an that is something I, personally, have never seen in a camera. You can take pictures in absolute (and I mean absolute) darkness or that helps you focus the camera in very low light conditions.

I presently own Pana's DMC-FZ30 but I can tell you straight: I'm still missing that fantastic feature from Sony. Plus, the quality of the Sony is crystal clear even in full automatic mode.

Wish you the best of luck with your camera picking.
Cheers!
Old Jan 15, 2006, 1:08 PM   #7

How do you like the FX30? It's one of those cameras that keeps comming up in all of my searches, but I'm a bit fixated on having a compact body.

It looks like it's got everything else that I have on my wish-list - lots of zoom to reach out and compose better landscapes and people shots, Image stablisation to handle the extreme zoom, and high resolution to let me print the pictures BIG (I love big pictures - A2 or bigger!)

Old Jan 15, 2006, 1:15 PM   #8

Well, if you wanna know about the the FZ30 please refer to the Panasonic part of the forum and there are entire topics dedicated to this camera.
And as a plus, you can check out what the people say at dpreview.com.
As for myself, I am pretty satisfied with mine but I still miss some things that my previous Sony V3 had. FZ30 is one of those cameras that either makes you wanna improve yourself (as far as photography is concerned) or it makes you wanna give up the extra volume, the extra weight and the extra features and go for compact body cameras only, avoiding all the hassle.

P.S. If you wanna print big and still have crisp clear photographs then I must advise going DSLR. But that is an entirely different cookie jar. It's not that point&shoot or prosumers aren't doing the job, it's just that it's only so much you can do with non-professional gear. If you want more, you gotta pay more.... MUCH more, but that won't guarantee brilliant photos because you still gotta be able to manage and master the tools that DSLRs provide you with.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:35 PM   #9

OK, thanks. You are right - there is a learning curve to climb. That's why I am looking at less camera, while I devlop the rest of the knowledge.

I'll check out the other forums. Might see you over there.

Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:19 PM   #10

Both the Canon A-620 and the Fuji E-900 do a very creditable job. I have used both. If you are going to do a lot of cropping or need a higher ISO setting, take a look at the E-900. 9mp really can make a difference. If an articulated LCD, and image clarity is the bottom line issue, then take a look at the A-620. Here is an E-900 sample that has been cropped 100%.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote