Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:03 PM   #21

digicamfan-

Only the Stylus series from Olympus are weather RESISTANT, not waterproof. Unfortunately, the Stylus series has not fared well in professional reviews.

I own a Oly Stylus 800 that is a real turkey! Want to buy it? Don't you will be disappointed! Think very closely indeed before you decide on purchasing an Olympus Stylus camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 2:27 PM   #22

Thanks again, guys. Fueled by some of the other threads, I have this question:

Which camera will perform best for sports: Kodak V530, Casio Z750 or Sony T9 ?

I think I have cropped my list to these three by now....so I'll see what answers I get here...how the prices evolve the next few weeks...and what else happens

I really first need the camera by April for the Paris marathon...so I'll be able to pick up all your good advice for several weeks

Tor

Torr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 3:26 PM   #23
Super Moderator

i can vouch for the build quality and the image quality of the canon s450.. i bought one for my sister recently, and of course i had to "test it out" for her before i gave it to her.. ok, that was just an excuse to play..

anyways, i found it to be solidly built, and responsive.. the image quality was excellent.. which i attribute to the excellent image processor in the canon cameras.. they just consistantly produce great looking images.. the size is very compact and the finish on it is quite attractive..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 3:37 PM   #24

Interesting...so you're saying that even if money was not an issue, the T9 is not worth it ? I find all this a little strange, especially when I take the reviews on the models into account. I mean, what will I do with a Casio S600 that according to reviews takes crap pictures compared with eg. Canon ?

Still, it is interesting ! So, taking ALL things into consideration...what to choose ?

Tor

Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:08 PM   #25
Super Moderator

canon is probably the most consistant....
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:59 PM   #26

Sorry to hear your Stylus 800 is a turkey, mtclimber.

I had a Stylus 300 for a short time and it worked fine.

I sold itbecause I wanted more features.

Also, a downside (minor) point to me was that xD media was so darn tiny!

I like to use card reader so removal was "unwieldy".

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:52 PM   #27

Canons are always good. It's like buying a Toyota Camry...not very exciting, but gets the job done every time. All depends on what you're looking for I suppose. The Sony is like buying a very expensive race car. Great when it works. Sucks to have it fixed.
solarisdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:28 AM   #28

I have juts been in real camera shop They simply laughed about buying a Casio or a Kodak. They wanted to sell me the Canon SD750, but were actually uncertain about durability for distance running. Any comments on this issue ?

Which to go for : SD 450 or SD750 ?

Tor
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:05 PM   #29

OK, all these replies are very interesting, but seem to miss the point.You need something small, and water (sweat, at least) proof.No contest: the only┬* REALLY waterproof digicams are the Pentax ones:WP; WPi;33WR; 43WR┬*I bought a Pentax WPi for my daughter who Kayaks & runs Marathons,it works just fine, including UNDER water.┬*I have long favored the smallest possible camera, and carrying it at ALL times,and have really loved the original "no protruding lens" Minolta "X" series, but have┬*run some tests, comparing them to the WPi - the WPi is very sharp, very tiny,and I noticed that the Minoltas are starting to accumulate dust inside on the optical surfaces, where it can't be reached without taking it apart (!)┬* this dust┬*reduces contrast a good deal, so I'd say┬*that the waterproof Pentax should also┬*be dustproof.┬*I'm now thinking of upgrading to the WPi: my motto is:┬*"The camera you have WITH you, gets the picture!"
Ohlsonmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:01 PM   #30

Wow, that was interesting...and even Steve's review is quite positive towards the WPI. Neat !

Can anyone back up this opinion ? Also, could anyone comment on the durability of the Canon SD550 (IXUS750) with regards to sports use and dust/moisture stuff ?

Thanks in advance,

Tor