Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:47 PM   #1

Hi all,

Hope you may have some views and help me decide.

I have been looking for a compact camera to carry as a back up for my landscape work. My Minolta 7D packed up twice on top of mountains so I feel a compact would be a worth while addition.

So far I have narrowed it down to the Ricoh GX8 and the Canon s70. Both offer 28mm lens and a high number of pixels. The ricoh also seems to offer things like remote release etc.

Does anyone have any other camera suggestions or any opinions on these two cameras?

Cheers,

Michael
mwrbrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2006, 8:49 PM   #2

Just awild thought! How about the new Kodak V-570 with a 23mm wide angle lens. It is small, very portable, and capable (I would hope) of some quality photos.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 3:33 AM   #3

panasonic lx1 - considered very noisy above iso 200 by most reviewers, but read¬* luminous landscape review as well for perspective of someone who makes his living via photography.
ochiruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:02 AM   #4

ochiruna-

Can you give us a link to the review in Luminous Landscape of the Panasonic LX-1?

MT
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Super Moderator

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...eras/lx1.shtml

And of course you could pay a few extra bob to get it in its Leica livery. (Same camera though.)

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:55 PM   #6

Do you want to be impressed? Take a look at this landscape photo. It was taken by a Kodak V-530, while we were driving at 75 mph WITHOUT stopping between California and Oregon. Now that is a lanscape photo, and dare I say it, the Kodak V-570 can even do better.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:43 AM   #7
Super Moderator

IMO landscape work requires at least the (35mm equivalent) of a 28mm lens.

Most digicams stop at around 35-40mm, so are not sufficiently flexible as a backup camera for landscape work.

The landscape advantages of the LX1 is that it has:
a) a 28mm equivalent lens
b) a 16:9 (semi-panoramic) sensor ratio

My major reservation with the LX1 however is that I'm not convinced that its noise is acceptable even at ISO100, certainly ISO200 and above seem to be very very poor. IMO they would have done much better to keep the resolution at 5 or 6Mp and get a couple of extra usable ISO stops.

The new Kodak V570 is interesting in that it includes a 23mm equivalent wide angle lens in addition to the 39-112 zoom. There are currently no reviews of how good that ultra-wide lens is however, so before seriously considering it I would wait for a proper review.

As an aside I have had some very nasty experiences with the software that Kodak bundles with its digital cameras causing severe problems on some PCs. It's one of the areas where camera companies (or divisions) can be very poor. For this reason alone I will never purchase or recommend Kodak or HP cameras.

Of course if you simply download the photos from the card and don't use the Kodak or HP drivers you should be OK. In my experience the nastiness often comes when the cameras have docking stations or somesuch device which require additional software to be installed on the PC.

Back to your original post however, if I were in your shoes, I would certainly go with the S70. An art-student friend of mine has one, and she has produced some excellent work with it, it has full manual controls, RAW mode, and is small enough to carry everywhere.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:57 AM   #8
Super Moderator

i agree with peripatetic here.. 28mm is a must..

i am looking into the lx1 as a carry-all myself.. i love the sharp lens, the image stabilization and the loads of features in this little tiny camera..

but noise is an issue.. esp with jpgs straight out of the camera...and quite a bit of it is due to low noise reduction algorythms..if you are savvy with noiseninja and other programs, then the playing field can be leveled.. even more so if you shoot RAW and can reduce the noise in conversion.. and keep in mind you can shoot at lower ISO's in general from the image stab.. because of its great lens, and with good post-processing, this is a fabulous camera..

but....
if you are not willing to do the work in post-process or limit yourself to ISO 80.. then the s70 is a great option.. good features.. though it is quite a bit chunkier than the pany's..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 4:06 AM   #9

Through my experience I have found the Fujifilm S5500/5100 to be a very versatile and trouble free camera. It has been on the market a while now but is still being sold by some retailers. Currently on-line from www.photooptix.co.uk at £149, which I personally consider a very good buy.

It is one of Fujifilm's "bridge" fixed lens camera's that boasts a 37 - 370 mm (35 mm equivelent) zoom lens. With MASP, Portrait, Landscape, sports 30 fps Video, and night settings.

I really couldn't rate this camera highly enough in all respects. I have now bought the S9500, but my trusty S5500 will always be with me as my second camera.

Regards,

ISoS

P.S. Other forum members such as SteveDak and Jphess will be able to give advice regarding this camera too I'm sure.

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:08 AM   #10

I think that peripatetic and Hards raise some very excellent points. The Kodak V-570does not have any reviews as yet. The Canon S-70 and the Panasonic LX-1 arevery interesting cameras that have indeed amassed a number of professional reviews.

However, we could still see some surprisescome from the PMA show as well. So this might indeed be a good time for some watchful waiting.

MT