Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:47 PM   #1

I'm in the market for a digital camera mainly to take action shots of my kids in football and baseball day and night, I will also use it for vacations. I would like to buy a camera that is easy to use, takes good pictures and will last a while. I don't want to buytoo much camera for what I need but I do want a nice one. Zoom is the big priority for me. Also what is the best printer for these types of shots.
deeinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2006, 2:46 AM   #2

You can not beat the Panasonic FZ 20 or any of the FZ for zooooom. They have a 12 optical. Optical is the only zoom that matters digital is not something you can really use as it looses picture quality. Use the computer to digital zoom in on pictures.

The only problem with any camera of this type is low light shots. You get a lot of noise. If you are going to shoot a lot in low light and you budget allows you might want to look into the DSLR's. They allow you to shoot better quality in low light action. I would suggest a Canon Rebel XT or a Konica Minolta 5d if you want to go that rout from what I have read here.

I love my FZ and I think it is the best camera you can find until you go to the DSLR's.

RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 1:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, is the Canon Rebel difficult to use ? What typr of lens come with it? Will I need to buy another for the type of pictures I will be shooting?
deeinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 5:19 PM   #4

Like other modern cameras, the Rebel can be used in fully-auto mode. Once you undertand what the camera is doing and the settings that must be chosen, you can learn, pretty easily, to use it in aperture priority or shutterspeed priority, which are quite easy but extremely useful modes.

The Rebel comes either with an 18-55 or a 17-85 IS. For the kinds of pictures you're talking about, you'll want something like a 300mm lens, though. Canon has an excellent and quite inexpensive 75-300 (about $180, or $500 with IS).

Long SLR lenses are not as fast as the zoom lenses in big-zoom fixed-lens digital cameras. Most fixed-lens big-zoom digital cameras can do f3.5 at full telephoto, which allows for half the shutterspeed of most SLR zoom lenses (which can only do f5.6) all other things being equal. (The Panasonic FZ20 is f2.8 all the way to the telephoto end, allowing for shutter speeds four times as fast as an f5.6 lens, all other things ebing equal). However, this difference can usually be more than made up by the fact that SLRs produce useable pictures at higher ISOs, which is not the case for smaller fixed-lens cameras like the Panasonic (i.e. all other things are not really equal).

Also, good zoom lenses cost a lot of money. A cheap 400mm lens for your Rebel will still produce more detailed pictures than a Panasonic would, but a nice 400mm lens will produce much sharper pictures than a cheap one. So you can start with a cheaper one, or with a nice-ish 300mm one, and later move up if you want.

Myself, I used a Panasonic FZ10 (the 4MP version of the FZ20) until i got a Canon 10D. I originally had a cheap Tokina lens on my 10D (an 80-400), and I noticed the pictures were sharper than those the FZ10 made, but one day I borrowed a nice 400mm lens (L glass, with IS) and there was no going back. (Well, I gave the lens back to my friend, but I HAD to have one, and this requiring saving money for several months).
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:58 PM   #5

Hey Airshowfan you make some good points. You should have told him about your site.

Deeinms click on his name and goto his home page. Tons of good info there.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:34 PM   #6

The Photo Marketing Association (PMA) will hold its annual convention and trade show next month. I would wait for that before making a purchase. Fuji already has a simple point-and-shoot camera which has quite good high ISO capability. I think it's just a matter of time before we see this in a fixed-lens ultrazoom model. It probably won't happen as early as next month, but it won't surprise me if it does.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote