Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2006, 3:19 PM   #1

I am making the switch from film SLR (Olympus) to digitial SLR Nikon.* I've been doing the research and would like some user feedback on the D50 vs D70s.* I like the feel of the D70s and the kit lens better than the D50, the LCD lighted screen and faster burst are also a bonus.* I just don't want to regret not having some of the D70 features down the road even though I may not use them initially.* User thoughts from both the D50 and D70s camp would be much appreciated.
Keithrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2006, 3:57 PM   #2

I have both, and I feel image quality is slightly better with the D50. However the performance of the D50 is somewhat hindered by its design. They key features the D70 has are the 2nd command dial, wireless flash controller, lighted LCD, DOF preview, and ISO adjustments in 1/3 stops. Most amateurs would not miss any of these features. I really feel the D70 is kind of on a island as it is not significantly better than the d50 and is way short of the d200 in terms of features and performance. Unless your a pro looking for a solid backup or absolutely need some of the finer controls, I would save the money and get the D50 with either the kit lens or the 18-70mm. Better yet, I would look at the new 18-200 vr and this lens would cover most any shooting situation.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:42 PM   #3

Thanks.* I was considering the 18-200 lens in lieu of the 18-70.
Keithrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:24 PM   #4

Well, I'm a lowly amateur, and I definitely would miss the second command dial (comes in very handy if you ever shoot in manual mode) and the lighted LCD (comes in very handy when shooting in the dark where you have to change some settings). As far as the other features you listed, I would probably agree--it's nice to know they're there, but if they weren't, I wouldn't miss them too much. I think the D70(s) is worth a little more, but not too much more than the D50, so depending on the price difference, I don't necessarily disagree with your ultimate recommendation.

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I have both, and I feel image quality is slightly better with the D50. However the performance of the D50 is somewhat hindered by its design. They key features the D70 has are the 2nd command dial, wireless flash controller, lighted LCD, DOF preview, and ISO adjustments in 1/3 stops. Most amateurs would not miss any of these features. I really feel the D70 is kind of on a island as it is not significantly better than the d50 and is way short of the d200 in terms of features and performance. Unless your a pro looking for a solid backup or absolutely need some of the finer controls, I would save the money and get the D50 with either the kit lens or the 18-70mm. Better yet, I would look at the new 18-200 vr and this lens would cover most any shooting situation.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote