Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:31 AM   #1

I bought a Nikon Coolpix 2500 in January 2003.

Now that price/performance ratios have improved so dramatically I think it's time to get a new camera.

A significant part of the cost of acquisition can be memory and batteries

Together with my Nikon camera I've accumulated 640Mb of CompactFlash (SanDisk) memory, 4 rechargeable batteries (Li-ion EN-EL2 3.7V 1000m Ah) and a recharger (MH-60).

As far as I can see, some – but not many – camera products on the market today support these types of memory and batteries

Question: When I select a new camera should I limit my choice to those cameras where I can still use the batteries and memory I have? Or should I accept that I have to write off all my investment in batteries and memory, and I have to buy everything new?

Bart
Bart150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:12 AM   #2

bart150

dont know where u are cos u got not location info but.....

in the UK i can get a 1gig card for my olympus e-300 for under £40 and a compatable battery for it for £10

i too have got quite a few cards and batts for my old c4040 which i still use.

u will be very lucky to find a new camera that supports ur old battery and card collection
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:07 PM   #3

I would never soley base a camera purchase on media or batteries. Overall, they are a small part of the price and have little affect on performance. Features, lens quality, ease of use, ergonomics and most importantly image quality are the maost important features.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 1:00 PM   #4

Well, rjseeney, the camera cost 350 euros in January 2003, and the memory and batteries acquiredgradually since then have added at least 50% to that investment.

So I'd find it well worth knowing whether there exist plenty of modern camera models which also use those memory and battery products.

Old Jan 15, 2006, 1:31 PM   #5

If you want a small pocket type camera you are pretty much stuck with SD or proprietary formats like Memory Stick Pro or Fuji and Oly's xD. There are plenty of larger cameras that take both CF and AA.

You might still be able to find a Canon A95. It is the smallest near-current camera I know of that takes both.

I wouldn't limit myself because I already had those two formats. Memory has gotten pretty cheap compared to the price you paid for your CF. One of our local US stores has a PNY 512Mb CF card for $20 after rebate and you could probably do better online. Check your current prices in the euros, but my guess is that the current value of your memory isn't worth modifying your camera choice unless you want a larger camera. You also don't say what size your memory modules are. Anything under 256 Mb is almost useless anymore, and 512 Mb is more appropriate for most current cameras with better electronics that will take hundreds of shots on a battery charge. My current pocket camera fills my 1Gb card with power left over. It gets real busy swapping out memory cards, and I'm dingy enough that I would eventually lose or damage one.

You might look at the Casio Z120 as it takes AAs and seems quite capable. It is about the smallest competent camera I know of with AAs if you want some manual controls and an easy control setup. There are plenty of other pocket cameras that also take SD and AA batteries. But most of them are entry level and AAs are used so they can throw in a set of alkalines and keep the price down without a charger. Of course the same is true of the Z120, but it seems to be a step above most entry level pocket cameras with AA.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 1:36 PM   #6

All I'm saying is there are more important factors than batteries and memory. By limiting yourself to what batteries and memory you have, you may be ignoring other more important features (such as the ones mentioned in my previous post). I don't mean toignore the costs of batteries and memory...I realize they are a factor and yes costs do add up over time. However batteries and memory improve over time as much as cameras do...memory is available in larger sizes and gets cheaper every day, and batteries are carrying more and more capacity. If you want to be safe and get something that will always be useful to you...AA batteries can be used in other devices and there are many good camera's that use this form factor, and CF and SD cards are the most common storage vehicles, with CF cards being universally used in DSLRS.

You should also consider that as long as you own your previous camera, your batteries and memory will still continue to work.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 2:14 PM   #7
E.T

Most better class non-Point&Shoots use CF.
And prices have come down much (very fast 4GB card ~200 euros) so I wouldn't see much point carrying smaller than 512MB cards to next camera.

Li-ion batteries are always proprietary so you wouldn't find cameras using that same battery from other manufacturer... and then manufacturers can change batteries once in a while.
But there's good guality third party batteries from known manufacturers (Ansmann, Haehnel, Lenmar...) which are reasonably priced so that shouldn't be big problem...
But from cheap no brand batteries and those which are claimed to be genuine but are cheap you should stay away!

So now you should start making notes what kind of camera you're looking/what you want from it.
Pocket size Point&Shoot? Good manual controls?
Anything like that so we'll know better what would be good camera for your needs.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 2:46 PM   #8

Thanks for your help, all. I've now put together these conclusions. Of course, I'd be glad to know if anything here is false.

Memory

If I go for a low-end camera, my present CF memory cards can't be used.

If I go for a camera in the moderate-to-expensive range, then there are plenty of cameras that can use my present CF memory cards and also plenty that can't.

Any camera which can use CF has (for me) a price advantage of about E60 (rough present day cost of that memory) over one that doesn't.

Batteries

The batteries I already have (Nikon En-El2) can't be used on any recently introduced camera model. So they are irrelevant to my camera choice.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

I wanted to get this issue clear first. I'll be back soon, E.T, with my next issue.

Bart

Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:07 PM   #9

Bart-

In truth, you are posting about pennies while your decision will cost dollars. Flash media and batteries are quite cheap right now. To let flash memory and batteries sway/dictate your camera decision does not seem very logical to me.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote