Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2006, 7:25 AM   #1

Hello people. I really need some help here. I have been putting off buying a digital camera for almost a year now (!) because I can't seem to make up my mind. First I wanted an ultra-zoom. Now I know that what I want is a good camera that will give me more control than your everyday point-and-shoot. I've noticed that the Canon Powershot G6 seems to top a lot of the lists, even though it is a relatively "old" camera. Resolution is important as I am an artist who would like to get into photography and will be printing up pictures (nothing too large though). Any recommendations?
(Yes. I know. "Go for a digital SLR". I would, but they're out of my price range - poor, struggling artist - remember?).

I'm going crazy! Every week I think I find the right camera and then I look it up on the net and......

Thanks in advance
Erik

erik1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:04 AM   #2

As long as you're in that vintage, consider the Sony V3. It is a similar age to the Canon G6; similar resolution; excellent lens...what makes the V3 stand out is the autofocus system and the response speed of the camera.

I also like the night framing...which allows you to setup a shot through the LCD even in complete darkness and then take the shot using the flash.

Nightshot mode is an Infrared (about the equivlent f ISO2500) which can take shots in complete darkness without flash...they are monochorome of course but there may be no other way of getting certain shots at all.

I have had a V3 since they came out and it is one of the best cameras that Sony has put out. Of course, time moves on and the V3 isdiscontinued but there are still some available in stores.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:52 AM   #3

why wont a ultrazoom be a good camera that gives you more control? im just wondering why you would dismiss an ultrazoom on that ground?

anyways, maybe something like the KM A200 would be right for you (although its 'little' brother the A2 is better most say)

just a suggestion, anyway good luck with your search and post some pics when you get your rig sorted
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 9:20 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies!
Meryl – I'm not necessarily looking for a camera of the G6 "vintage". All I said was that it seems that this camera still tops the lists despite being a little old. If there is something newer and better…
audioedge – I haven't ruled out an ultra-zoom at all! What I meant was that initially, I wanted a good zoom. I still do, but what is more important to me now is image quality and the ability to print high-resolution pictures on, let's say, A3 paper (297 x 420 mm or 11.7 x 16.5 in). If you have any recommendations for an ultra-zoom – they would be most appreciated!
Old Jan 16, 2006, 9:46 AM   #5

well the Canon Powershot max resolution is 3072x2304, which falls short of A3 sized pictures which is 4961 x 3508.

Heres a list of cameras and there maximum resolution http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

Out of those listed on the Fuji S3 Pro gets near your resolution....

Of course you could get the 3072 x 2304 image of a G6 blown up to A3 without it showing too many artifacts, Im sure...

My recommendation would be the Panny Fz30, as I just like that camera, of course reading all the reviews you can see many complain of noise at higher iso, although Steves review says it isnt an issue.. cheers
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:13 PM   #6

Iactually own the Canon G-6. It is an excelentcamera. No, it does not focus as fast as the Canon S-2 IS, because the G-6 has the original Digic processor and the S-2 has the Digic II processor. But image-wise and operationallythe G-6is an excellent camera.

You might also want to take a look at the Canon A-620 which is a newer camera with the Digic II processor that has received tremendous reviews. Finally, IMHO the Canon S-2 is the best of the ultra zooms.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:06 AM   #7

Once again - thanks everyone for the replies!
One last question - I've notice that the Powershot S80 also seems to offer a lot of options beyond point-and-shoot. Does anyone know how this camera fairs up against the G6 in terms of control?

Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:32 AM   #8

It is a good bet that Canon will anounce a G6 successor in Feb. So since you have waited almost a year it might be worth the wait. The Pro1 is nice too, but also getting old. I am looking forward to the photo show to see what Canon comes out with. My guess and it is of course a guess, is that there will be a replacement for the G6, Pro1 and perhaps a 20D replacement, the last one is what I am waiting for.

PS for the control and quality you are looking for I think you may be better served by a DSLR, even an original digital Rebel as they are getting cheap and still produce good photos and will give you better image quality than ANY point and shoot.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote