Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:36 AM   #1

Hi - i was just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on choosing between these three cameras? Canon 450, 500 and Casio z750. I take a pretty even spectrum of pictures from hiking and camping trips to going out at night with friends. i like the size of the 450 but have heard the 500 has a better lens and flash? the z750 seemed like a good choice but i guess im not sold on the brand. Also the flash on the z750 is weaker - is this a bad thing? can the manual controls make up for this in low light situations? Thanks in advance for your info.

- -Blue
Bluemanchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:59 AM   #2

Blue-

You are very correct. The Casio 750Z is a very interesting camera with lots of features, but it has a very week flash. That would cause me to have second thoughts based on your proposed uses.

I suggest that you take a look at the Canon SD-550. Not only does it have great photo output, but it also has a much more powerful flash, when compared to the Casio 750Z. I suggest a look at the SD-550 because it has overcome the cracking LCD screen problem that we has seen reported in earlier SD models.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:18 AM   #3

So the 500's never had that problem resolved? The only reason i ask is that the 550 is a bit of a stretch for my budget, not impossible, but an extra 100-150 for a 2.5 in. LCD (which i believe is the only difference, please correct me if im wrong) would not be worth it to me, however it would be worth it for a stress free camera. Thanks again.

- - Blue
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:42 AM   #4

"Very weak flash" is an exaggeration. But the Z750 flash is only average for small cameras. The flash assist works well for flash shots out to around 25 feet but the noise does increase in the shadows.

The SD550 probably has the strongest flash on a small camera. But it is heavier and bulkier than any others you listed including the SD450. If size isn't a big factor and you don't use manual controls the SD550 is a very good camera.

The only manual control that will increase low light capability is ISO, and you wouldn't be very pleased with ISO400 shots from the Z750. The camera has the lens wide open and is giving you all the shutter speed it can in automatic. There aren't any magic settings that will improve that other than boosting the ISO.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:21 PM   #5

Slipe-

Many thanks for clarifying the flash issue on the Casio 750Z. I don't own the camera myself, so I appreciate the input.

The full manual controls on the 750Z are a real plus and so too is the pleasing small size.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:01 PM   #6

thanks alot for the info guys. I dont think size is a big deal so ill probably go with the canon, but a friend of mine says the fuji f10 isnt really much bigger so mayby ill take a peek at that first also, he says it takes very good pics all around, and especially indoors. I about to read up the reviews on it also. Thanks again

- - Blue