Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:50 PM   #1

Which to choose ?

Needed: good image quality, good durability, indoor/outdoor, no redeyes, good battery life

Edit : I mean Sony T9
Torr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Super Moderator

eh.. why 3 posts.. are you looking for 3 cameras or what?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:01 PM   #3

Im trying to get some clear answers. The threads here tend to blend in a number of off-question suggestions...no offense to anyone...but it makes it hard to infer what the opinion really is on the cameras in question.

So, by taking them 1:1 I might actually get qualified info that a good judgement can be made upon.

Experts, please reply !

Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:15 PM   #4

Tor-

I too am a bit confused. Do you mean Sony P-93 instead of "P-9"? That might seem logical. Keep in mind that the Casio 750Z if held back somewhat by its rather week flash.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:32 PM   #5

No, sorry, I meant the new T9. Typo from my side.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:51 PM   #6

The Sony T9 is a dynamite little camera. It doesn't have an optical viewfinder but the LCD is very good in quality and viewability in bright and dim light. You don't seem to need manual controls or a viewfinder if you are considering the T9, so the advantages of the Z750 might not be significant to you.

The T9 has an excellent combination of decent noise at ISO 400 and true optical image stabilization. If you don't need a viewfinder or manual controls it is a great little camera for available light shots.

mtclimber seems to be on a flash range binge for the Z750 which isn't quite accurate. It has an average flash range for a small camera. And it has a flash assist that works well unless you plan to print a giant image for your wall and don't post process. I don't use flash assist because Shadow/Highlight in Photoshop does the same thing and it has more control It did have a problem with switching to a fill mode if there were bright lights in the scene and underexposing the subject. I get around that by using spot metering so it doesn't see the bright lights. I don't know whether they have fixed that with firmware because I have a custom mode set up with spot metering and a +1 flash intensity for those limited circumstances.

I measured 15 and 25 feet from the face of the fireplace for normal and flash assist shots. The dark wall is another 2 feet further from the camera. The left lamp is off and the right one has just a 16 watt bulb for navigation, so the flash was providing the light. I think the flash is reasonable.

15 feet no flash assist:

25 feet with flash assist:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:56 PM   #7

Nice reply ! However, the conclusion lacks...ie. which camera do YOU prefer ?

Thanks... Tor

Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:33 PM   #8

Slipe-

Many thanks for the quick flash tutorial on the Casio 750Z. It is a very interesting camera.

Tor-

May we assume that you are looking for an automatic, point and shoot kind of operation. If that is so, and if the Sony T-9 size will work for you perhaps that it your better choice. The Casio 750Z is a great camera that offers full manual controls which might not be exactly what you desire.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote