Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:01 PM   #1

I'm looking for a versatile camera for an upcoming 30-day nationwide trip, guessing 80% outdoor shots. I've never had formal photography instruction (although I hope to at least take a composition class before the trip) so I foresee using full auto mode 99% of the time. I don't plan on taking many videos with it, but I guess you never know. (Steve's review shows the Canon having superior videoover the Sony). All 4seem to be in the same "class". I've already got a list of plusses and minuses for each, but can't seem to pull the trigger on which to buy, so I'd appreciate any comments based on what I'm calling differentiators. Many thanks!!!

--- Canon S2 IS ---

-Plus: Standard AA batteries, love the looks of the camera (probably not a good reason). Articulated LCD for storage. Better video mode.

-Minus: Seems like the dustcap is almost useless as it easily falls off. Not sure if I'd like the zoom in/out around the shutter release, it seemed a little awkward when I tried it at Circuit City. Smaller 1.8" LCD (I've had Lasik and itmy vision gets temporarily blurry after using a traditional viewfinder so I'll probably use the LCD most often).

--- Sony DSC-H1

-Plus: Standard AA batteries, larger 2.5" LCD

-Minus: Memory sticks (more expensive than SD/MMC?)

--- Kodak P850

-Plus: Larger 2.5" LCD

-Minus: Proprietary battery.

--- Kodak P880 (probably wouldn't be considering this one if it weren't on sale for $449 at Costco next week)

-Plus: Larger 2.5" LCD, 8MP (others are 5MP), 24mm at widest, bargain price at $449?

-Minus: Proprietary battery. Bigger and heavier. Only 5.8x zoom (others are 12x)

====================================
brucem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:54 PM   #2

BIG plus of the S2. .. The IS.. with the zoom.. you won't regret it. !!! The swivel lcd is AWESOME.. As for the cap.. there are many tricks out there to keep it on tight.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:16 PM   #3

Also, consider Panasonic FZ30.

I just picked one up and it is awesome.

Read Steve's review of it on this forum
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:26 PM   #4

I own both the Kodak P-850 and the Canon S-2 IS. The Kodak has been returned to Kodak for lack of sharpness in the images. The Canon S-2 is great. It just excells at about anything you ask of it. The Canon S-2 gets my hearty recommendation.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:59 PM   #5

Two of my friends recently purchased cameras...one got the S2 IS, and the other got the H1. I've seen lots of pics taken by both, and I'd have to give the edge in picture quality to the H1. An interesting noise and resolution comparison between the two can be seen here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/page11.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/page14.asp

I wouldn't consider media type a negative, even if the type is more expensive than the others. Consider it part of the camera price...when you get a new camera, if it takes different media, sell your old camera along with the old media cards.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 6:07 PM   #6

A lot has to do with the person holding the camera.. I've seen great photos and crappy photos, taken by different people.. I've seen a lot more creativity and inspiration come from the S2.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:11 PM   #7

Rinnie-

Thanks for the post. I would be interested in seeing more concerning resolution on the Sony H-1. I actually considered the Sony H-1 when I purchased the Canon S-2.

I will do some checking. I have always felt the Canon S-2 to be "top of the shop."

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:15 PM   #8

brucem3, I'm in the same boat you are. I'm looking for a new digital camera to take with me on my cruise next month and i'm looking at all the same ones you are. I started looking at the cannon s2, then the Kodak P850 & P880, then the sony h1 and the Panasonic. If just on looks, i didn't like the look of some of the panasoics. So that right there put me off that. I went to the store and looked at the P850, H1 and the cannon s2. When i first started looking i was more for the S2, and thinking oh wow i can move the screen all around and that will be great to use. But when i got to the store and looked at the screen, its small. You can move it, turn it just about anywhere, but the screen is small. Looking at pics and video on the camera might be hard to see in daylight. So I started looking at the P850. Like the look, like the screen and movie mode on it but seeing some of the pictures people posted and the reviews of it kinda put me off. The sony h1 i like the look and most of the pictures have been equal to the A2, movie mode was ok, no stereo sound and it can get more purple fringe when you look at the photo at full size. The sony H1 seems to come with more in the box, like the hood (i may never use it, but nice to have) Lens Adapter Ring and Rechargeable AA Batteries with charger and more. They say the batter life isn't that great but there rechargeable. And its a little cheeper then the A2. It comes with 32mg of internal memory, the others except the kodak have removeable 16 or 32mg memory. The memory stick really isn't that badly priced. At newegg you can get 1gig for around $70 whick is comparable with sd i think. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820191234 ) well this is only my two cents worth, i've been printing our many reviews and specs for awhile now. I'm almost, just about, mostly sure, I'll be getting the H1. But i'm still looking, and to say thanks for posting this as I'll be reading the follow ups.
ArcticZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:19 PM   #9

A good thing with traveling.. The s2 will take standard AA alk. disposible batteries.. good if you don't think you'll be able to charge for a while.. or don't want to buy international adapters..

The S2 video clip surpasses all the others on pic and sound quality.. Stereo sound to boot!

Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:47 PM   #10

"I've seen a lot more creativity and inspiration come from the S2."

mom...please...

It's starting to get a little deep in here.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote