Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:26 AM   #1

I need help on deciding on what camera to get. I need a camera with 10X to 12X optical zoom, that will take fairly good pics indoors (mainly family pics) and outdoors (wildlife/panoramic views). The amount of information and reviews out there is overwhelming. So, I figured I ask you guys for advice. I have been looking at this camera http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/fz5.html

Would that be a good selection for my needs? Any other sugestions? By the way I'm on a budget of $300-$400.I'm sorry for having such a "n00by" question but I really dont know what I'm getting.

Thanks in advance.
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:57 AM   #2

kaspian-

The Pansonic FZ-5 is a very good camera and should meet your needs rather nicely. It does not have a real wide angle lens at the low end of the zoom, and it will show some noise when pressed up to its maximum ISO setting of 400. But all in all, it is an excellent camera that will serve you well.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:54 PM   #3

I had the choices, but after extensive research, and looking back the kind of shooting I do, and my low light requirements (shooting family in things like plays etc.) I decided on the Fuji S5200. I love it. Takes great pictures and it's low light capabilites are great. Much better than some of the reviews I read. I think the FZ5 is a good camera, I was this far (fingers really close together) from buying one when I stumbled across the S5200. A month later I owned one. Check the Fuji forum here for more information. A lot of people seemed pleased with their S2's also.
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:07 PM   #4

I just got an FZ5 the other day, and I love it. Its a great camera for outdoors in good light, or if you have tripod. For indoors its not to bad if you can use the flash and the subject is close enough, or again, you have a tripod and the subject aint movin much.

Ultimately, unless you go dSLR route, you have to choose which is more important.

Taking shots in low light (Fuji F10/Fuji E-900 or maybe the upcoming http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...il.php?cam=799)

or having a nice zoom (Fz5, S2 is, Sony H1, fz20/30, p850 etc etc).

Choice is yours. More importantly when you get your cam, take some pics and post them on here

Have fun

audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:00 PM   #5

Thank you all for your responses and my apologies for taking so long to get back in here. Now, 2 more questions; What are the main differences between the Panasonic FZ5 and the Fujifilm s5200? (Is it that the FZ5 has a little more zoom and the s5200 takes better pictures at low light conditions?) And where can I find more info on what the different settings do (shutter speeds, ISOs, Aperature, etc) with picture samples?

Thank you.
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:15 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the fz-5 has image stabilization.. which really maximizes your ability to handhold at the longer focal lengths.. for this reason, i would choose it over the 5200 for telephoto shots.. using the shorter focal lengths indoors, the 5200 has a slight lead in noise handling, but can't compete at the telephoto end..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:51 PM   #7

Kaspian, research them both, or others as well. Just keep in mind what type of shooting YOU do and what you think will meet your needs. I found the ANTI-SHAKE of Fuji to more than suffecient for max zoom shoots. This one I was playing around with it right after I got the camera. I just slapped it in anti-shake, full auto, snapped the shot, didn't worry about stabilizing my arms or anything. Figured I would see how blurry it would be. Taken at full zoom.

Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:46 PM   #8

My impression is that the Fuji S5200 (also known as the S5600) is currently the best all-around camera among the "super zooms". This doesn't mean that it's the best for any particular use, but it does seem to have an appealing combination of features and intelligent compromises. This is just an impression, based on what I've heard from users; I've never even seen one.

The Fuji will probably perform better for indoor family photos without flash. But for outdoor telephoto photos in moderate to bright light, the Panasonic FZ5 has an advantage, because of image stabilization and greater zoom reach.

Neither camera is very well suited for panoramic views, as the wide end of their zoom range is not very wide. Of course, you have the option of shooting a sequence of overlapping shots and stitching them together.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:19 PM   #9

Oh, and this shot was full zoom (fuji S5200), I was using a monopod, full auto mode, from the back of a large (not huge) church using existing light.

Attached Images