Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:03 AM   #1

I'm noob in photography.But i really wanted to get a digicam a long while ago, but i cant decide which one to buy. As you see, i cant really trust the shop salesman, sometimes they just will recoment that's good just to get to sell. And i want to read some review and opinion from this forum before i buy, i'm a careful buyers and i hope to item i buy is good enough

So the following digicam in my mind right now is
Canon SD450, Panasonic FX9, Sony T9

As for Canon SD450 i like the body and the design, compact yet stylish. It's 5 megapixel is enough for me. I like canon video recording quality, as i try alot from using my friends Canon A95. I like the video playback with audio from the canon digicam(A95). As you guys can see i gain my confidence on Canon using my friends A95, but his one is not a compact digicam, so i wonder does it has a lot of differents?. For the quality pics of the Canon is not bad either from what i see (my friend A95), and also i wonder how about the SD450?.
The pic quality from canon is so natural, this is what i like and it fast enough (i test the SD450 before). I read some user here complain the SD450 have a serious redeyes problem, is this applied to the other 2 digicam as well? And it doesnt have battery indicator. How about the battery performance? It has no function to prevent shake like panansonic mega OIS n sony steady shot, does this a biggest disadvantage on canon sd450?

As for Panasonic FX9, the spec of the camera is better than the SD450, this make me consider it also. The battery of FX9 is far more powerful than SD450, and i read a good about this digicam too.How about the quality of the pics? As for canon it looks more natural to me. It has is major function Mega O.I.S , does it help alot? But i havent test this digicam yet, so i cant say more about this digicam.

Sony T9, newly launch in my place, it has function of steady shot and very thin. Not really know much about this digicam, havent read it's review yet and but seem like steve preview doesnt really make review for all the sony camera . Sony not a favorite among here?
This digicam is retracted lens, i doesnt know what the term use to explain it. So i little confidence it will produce better quality pics compare to digicam that lense can be push out :roll: sorry hope u guys know what i'm saying.

Hope you guys can help noob like me to get my very first digicam. As for the lcd quality of fx9 and T9 are better than SD450, but the SD450 lcd shouldnt be that bad as well rite? I hope can get a good digicam with good pictures.

So guys pls give your fair opinion before i go to test and buy.
BROS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:29 PM   #2

BROS-

All three camera are good camera possibilities. It really depends on what size and shape you want to work with everyday. The Panasonic FX-8 actually produces better photos than the FX-9, and it might save you some money.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:38 PM   #3

the shape and size of these 3 digicam is what i wanted, fx8 video quality not that good.

Any others opinion?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:43 PM   #4

The T9 looks like a nifty little camera. The good noise at ISO400 combined with true mechanical optical stabilization would give good limited light ability for a small camera. The folded lens technology seems to give good images.

The FX9 also has true optical stabilization but isn't so good at high ISO. The optics are excellent.

Stabilization is a great feature. You can handhold in limited light in a lot more situations. It doesn't help for subject motion though – just hand movement. Subject motion in less than good light is where you need higher ISO.

The SD450 will give you good pictures. It has an optical viewfinder where the other two don't. I find an optical viewfinder necessary in some situations. The SD450 doesn't have a high resolution LCD compared to the other two and doesn't have optical stabilization.

My pocket camera doesn't have stabilization but I wish it did. I wanted manual controls and a viewfinder, so there wasn't an appropriate stabilized camera or I would have bought one. But I get by just fine without it in most situations. An optical viewfinder partly makes up for the lack of stabilization because you can get a steadier hold. But stabilization is a big help when you hold the camera out and shoot with the LCD.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:00 PM   #5

ic, how about the SD450 at ISO400?
i wish i have some manual control over the iso.
As for the lcd resolution, i doesnt really put it on a high priority here, coz even the SD450 lcd is good enough.

which one would you recomended?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:27 PM   #6

Higher ISO on the SD450 is almost unusable. The only thing better than the T9 for high ISO in a small camera is the Fuji F10 or F11. If you live outside the US, the F11 is probably available. It doesn't have full manual exposure but does have aperture and shutter priority. The controls and menu system are poor, but you would probably get used to it.

Of the ones you listed I would probably opt for the SD450 only because it has an optical viewfinder. But some people are quite happy shooting with only the LCD, so my preference isn't significant there. The SD450 also has a slightly stronger flash.

If you shoot primarily with the LCD the T9 and FX9 have advantages in the LCD other than just resolution. They are easier to see in bright sunlight and you can view them from an angle, which makes them better for shooting from over your head or taking candid shots without standing behind a camera and aiming it at someone. The SD450 LCD has a more limited viewing angle.

My near vision isn't great and I can't really see the resolution difference on my camera, which has about the same resolution as the SD450. But a friend has a Kodak V550 with a high resolution screen and I can see a big difference if I dig up some reading glasses.

If you shoot just with the LCD I would pick the T9, but all 3 cameras are very good.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 6:54 AM   #7

bump ...
need more opinion to decide/
Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:27 AM   #8

help help help