Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:57 AM   #1

I liked the idea of the EIS and the 16:9 so I ordered it from Amazon/Vanns.The Leica lenses stick out from the body, don't retract all the way inside like other digicams.¬* Of course it is a 4X optical zoom and maybe the 16:9, 3:2 and 4:3 modes¬* cause it to stick out like that.So there is a lens cap and I know I will lose that thing.¬* The lens seem exposed so you don't want to lose the cap.Maybe if there was a filter I could screw on the thing but I only see such accessories at the Panasonic site for their DSLRs, not the LX-1, which is suppose to be a point and shoot model.Maybe if I could find a good case where I could keep the cap off all the time but not worry about the lens surface being scratched or dirtied.Right now, I'm thinking of returning it and ordering a Canon S80.¬* Time is of the essence though as I leave on a trip the end of this month, less than 2 weeks away.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:28 AM   #2

I always manage to find a perfect belt pouch at my local flea market. I like to carry small cameras that way instead of in my pocket. That might help with the lens cap.

I don't consider a camera with full manual exposure plus aperture and shutter priority a point and shoot. I do prefer having an optical viewfinder and the S80 has one. The S80 gets a little more purple fringing and corner softness at wide angle but it is less noisy. And I find the normal 4:3 wide angle more useful for most things except maybe 4 X 6 prints, and there are plenty of pixels in the S80 to crop down for that small a print. The LX80 wide screen movies would be nice on a HDTV.

If the lens cap is bugging you and a pouch isn't handy go for the S80. It is an excellent camera. If you have Photoshop CS2 the raw capability of the LX1 is nice ‚Äď they dropped raw on the S80.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:39 AM   #3

¬*¬* ¬*I don't have Photoshop.¬* How large are the RAW files?¬* Right now, I'm keeping my library in iPhoto and I'm guessing it won't handle RAW files too well if at all.¬* I wouldn't mind using larger, less-compressed files though.¬* ¬* ¬*Yeah I didn't realize things like shutter and aperature-priority were rare in digital cameras.¬* But I don't know if the thing even has a light meter even if I wanted to play around with full manual.¬* ¬* ¬*The main thing I worry about is that lens surface.¬* If I'm near the water (like Hong Kong where I'll be visiting in a couple of weeks)¬* I worry about the spray if I don't have the cap on that thing but I'm just holding it in my hand in anticipating of taking pics.¬* ¬* ¬*I guess they're coated so I should be able to just wipe it clean.¬* Even without the protection issue, there should be polarizing filters available for digicams in general.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote