Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:30 PM   #1

I need some advice on whether the get the P880 or P850.* I am buying the camera specifically to take amateur photos on an upcoming trip to the Galapagos Islands.* I planned on getting the 880 as it will be on sale at Costco and the price range is in my budget.* A more expensive camera would be a waste on my limited abilities.* However, I now notice that the 850 has a much higher zoom than the 880.* But the 880 is 8 megapixels whereas the 850 is only 5.* So I'm not sure which would be a better choice for nature photography in the hands of an amateur.* Thanks for any guidance you can give me.
Travel4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:49 PM   #2

The 880 has a 24mm wide angle capability. That is good for scenery if you don't want to stitch panoramas. It is a very competent camera with a higher quality LCD than the 850.

The telephoto on the 850 has a long reach and has optical image stabilization so you can handhold in most light. The stabilization is also very good at wider angles for limited light. It is a highly regarded camera also.

The 850 is better for wildlife, but the super wide angle capability of the 880 is about the best on the market and excellent for scenery and interiors. You have to decide whether a stabilized long lens camera or a wide angle with only moderate telephoto is more appropriate for your general photography.

Specifically for the Galapagos Islands wildlife I would think the 850 the better choice. Of course most of the wildlife on the island is very approachable since they don't have land predators. So you might not need the long zoom for anything you can walk up to. But there always seem to be animals and birds you can't get close to because they are in trees, across water or up on rocks you don't want to climb and the 880 wouldn't be very good for that.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:50 PM   #3

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87

Check out that thread. I was also looking at the P850 and P880 but didn't get any recommendations on either of those two in that price range.

Bruce...

brucem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:24 PM   #4

Personally, I would steer clear of the Kodak P-850. I own one, and if you read the http://www.dpreview.com review of the Kodak P-880, you will find some very interesting comments regarding the P-850, which accounts for it abmismal ability to focus its images really sharply. That is what I dislike about my P-850.

The P-880 is not bad at all, and surely if you need an ultra zoom, please take a look at both the Canon S-2 IS, the Panasonic FZ series,and the Sony H-1.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 4:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the great advice, especially regarding the Canon S2 and Sony H1.* Everyone seems to agree they are better cameras for the money.* I'm inclined to go with the Canon over the Sony since I have two of their ultracompacts and the SD memory is cheaper.* My only concern is the small LCD screen compared to the Sony.* I've also read that it is very difficult to see in bright daylight.* Any experience/comments??
Travel4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 6:04 PM   #6

Travel-

Keep in mind that the canon S-2 IS has not only a well articulated LCD, but an excellentEVF (electronic viewfinder)as well.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:38 AM   #7

Well after having the H1, S2IS, P850, PanaFZ30and using my step Daughters NIKON 8700 I'll keep my KODAK DX7590/Z7590. For the "money" it's tough to beat that little rig. I.S. is not the end to all blurry pictures. I.S. does nothelp mostlowlight shots. I was unable to get many better lookingpictures with any of the rigs above that to me warranted the extra cost. The 7590 is user friendy were the FZ and 8700 are at the other end of ease of use. I have never had the P880 here. Thats the next rig I bring home. But to be honest I don't think it will do what I want. I think my next step will have to be in the direction of a DSLR. So my vote goes out for the 7590 line unless something "much better" comes along. One last thing, the service I have gotten from KODAK has been head over heels better then from CANON. NIKON and SONY service has been up to par but KODAK has gone the extra mile both times I have needed them.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote