Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2006, 6:44 PM   #1

I currently have a Nikon Coolpix 5000 (3 yrs old) that I have been using for getting images for a plant identification website, and some of the images are used for print. I have grant $ to upgrade.* I thought about getting the 8800, but now I wouldn't touch it !* ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *Any ideas?* *I must have excellent macro, and good versitility in outdoor lighting (full sun to variably cloudy)* Usually using a tripod, and setup time are no problem, but I would like to have good hand-held stability because you can see some really interesting stuff in the forest and need to be fast with the camera.* ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *I've looked over the reviews, and forum comments, but now I'm just confused. * ** ** ** ** ** ** *Help?* * ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *Thanks * ** ** *Ree
invisiRee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:19 PM   #2

Ree-

There is no mention at all of budget. So perhaps, you might want to look at a Nikon D-50 with a kit lens and a nice macro lens. It would surely meet your requirements.

If we must scale back a bit, why not take a look at the Canon S-2 IS which has an amazing macro (close-up) mode plus the utility of ultra zoom. Please give up a bit more in terms of details, won't you. Thanks.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:33 AM   #3

My budget for the photographic equipment is approximately $2000, but I would like to spend less to plan for contingencies. Also, I have to consider the fact that student workers have to be trained to go out in the field with this camera...so it has to be fairly easy and one that will take a little "abuse".

If I get the dSLR,is there a lens that would be the best to "cover" my bases?

thanks,

ree
Old Jan 20, 2006, 9:51 AM   #4

Ree-

If you wanted to stay with Nikon,extend thezoom range of the CP 5000, but wanted a dSLR camera, you might want to take a look at the Nikon D-50 with the two lens bundle, which would cover the 35mm equivalent range of about 28mm to 300mm in terms of focal length. Your cost would be roughly $(US) 1,000.

If you went with the suggested Canon S-2 you would not have to change lenses at all, and that single lens would cover the 35mm equivalent of 36mm to 430mm aproximately at a cost of around $450. Plus, you would have a very nice close-up capability for free that would not be available on the D-50 kit unless a Macro lens was added at additional cost.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:09 AM   #5

Changing lenses in the field for a student worder might not be the best idea.

What do you think of the Nikon CP 8700?. or the Minolta A200 (which does not have the closest macro range)

I don't have to stay with the Nikon line, but I have to get a camera that will last a couple of years. There are good reasons to get soooo many of the models.

Geez...I hate to be the one to have to make the decision...second guessing is a sport aroundhere.

thanks

ree
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:22 AM   #6
E.T

invisiRee wrote:
Quote:
What do you think of the Nikon CP 8700?.* or the Minolta A200 (which does not have the closest macro range)
Looking to your current camera I keep KM A200 as clearly better.

1: CP8700 actually has worse wide angle than your current camera, they kinda cheated because it's easier to make longer zoom camera without wide angle. In fact almost all longer zoom cameras have worser wide angle than your current camera has.
And difference in tele end between A200 and CP8700 isn't actually so big as you might think from focal length. CP8700's tele fills frame with area which is 1/4th narrower and shallower than A200's tele.

2: CP8700 lacks image stabilization which is extremely usefull with longer teles in darker cloudy day because it enables using lower ISO(/noise). (also it works damn well in videos)

3: Mechanical zoom is much faster and more accurate than button zoom.

While video ability shouldn't be high priority on some day that capability can really save the day and in those CP8700 is limited to 35 seconds.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote