Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:13 PM   #1

I am currently using a minolta 3.2 mp digital camera roughly two years old. I am looking to upgrade because I am not happy with some of the pictures I get from it. Basically, anytime I zoom to see something far away I get a completely blurry picture. I don't expect it to be as crisp as when something is right in front of me but I don't expect it to be this blurry either. I have read about the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom and think i understand completely. I am wondering if I need to buy a new camera or there is a setting I can change on my existing camera to fix the above problem. Any advice would be appreciated. If you are going to recommend I buy a new camera, keep in mind money is no object but i think i just want a point and shoot and not an slr. please feel free to email me directly to [email protected] please put steves digicams in the subject so i know what it is...thank you for all your help...look forward to hearing from everyone
nykbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:21 AM   #2

nykbb-

Please keep in mind that as you zoom out with your camera, that keeping your camera absolutely still is the largest factor that contributes to photo clarity and sharpness. It was for that reason that the IS (image stabilization) feature was added to long zoom cameras. Really long ultra zoom cameras (15X optical zoom and above or even less depending on the camera) are best used on a tripod.

What model camera are you currently using and what is the optical zoom?

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 1:44 PM   #3

I am currently using the Minolta, DIMAGE XT 3.2 MP...it has a 3X optical zoom and an additional 4x digital zoom. I don't want to buy a new camera if I won't notice the difference because besides the blurry pictures when zoomed, this camera takes perfectly good pictures for my needs.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 2:45 PM   #4

MtClimber is absolutely right, the blurry pictures are often caused by failure to keep the camera still at higher magnification. Also, never use your digital zoom, it only degrades the photo. Only use your optical zoom.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:14 PM   #5

so is it not worth getting a new camera, am i not going to see an improvement when i zoom, b/c if not, my camera works perfectly fine otherwise and i would hate to shell out 500 bucks on something that won't make a difference for my purposes in the end.... without using the digital zoom i can't get close enough to my subjects....im shooting amateur things like when I'm at a football game......my seats are 14 rows off the field yet without a good zoom I still can't get in close enough to get a good crisp looking picture.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:27 PM   #6

There are several ultrazoom point and shoot cameras available, including the Sony H-1, Canon S2, and others. The two I mention have focal lengths over 400mm and have Image Stabilization, which really help when using these longer focal lengths. Another thing to consider is the time of day you are shooting. If you're shooting night sports, then there is likely no P&S camera that will be able to take action images. The drawback to ultrazooms is their low light performance is generally not so good.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote