Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:30 PM   #1

I'm still doing the research to choose my new camera, but I have been getting attracted to the Dimage Z5 or Dimage A200.

Now Konica Minolta is getting out of the camera business. But should I care?

Suppose I were to buy a Dimage Z5 or Dimage A200 today, with the expectation of using it for, say, the next five years. Would it make any practical difference to me that the manufacturer was no longer in the camera business?

Bart150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:21 PM   #2

The only problem I can think of is a possible lack of firmware upgrades. Browse through the forums to see if there is some pressing need for an upgrade. If not, no real worry.

As far as repairs go, the cost of repairing a 2-5 year olddigicam is generally higher than the cost of a new camera of equiv quality. No matter who the manufacturer is.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:14 AM   #3

Great comments, Bill!

Personally I believe that you have made a very realistic appraisal of the Konica-Minolta shut down. While we really want to believe that our cameras are going to last for a good long time. However,with the constant improvements and technical advances being made all the time, the camera bug may bite a bit sooner than you realize.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:59 AM   #4

Sounds good, Bill. Thanks.

I'm not certain I quite understand about your 'firmware upgrade' point.

I take it you mean the following:

1 Conceivably there mightbe some limitation of functionality in the present version of the model, of a kind which could in principle be rectified by a softwareupgrade.

2 Such an upgrade, if made,would probably be available at minimal cost to anyone who already owned the camera.

3 But there won't be any such upgrade, because the manufacturer will have no reason to make one.

4 Therefore it's worth checking product reviews and forums to see if anybody ever said anything to the effect: 'This product has limitation X, and that is just the kind of limitation that the manufacturer may rectify by an upgrade in the future'. That way, I'll know whether there is anythingI might be missing.

I hope that's the right interpretation.

Bart150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 5:05 PM   #5

Correct:|
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 3:51 PM   #6
E.T

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
The only problem I can think of is a possible lack of firmware upgrades.
Bart150 wrote:
Quote:
4* Therefore it's worth checking product reviews and forums to see if anybody ever said anything to the effect: 'This product has limitation X, and that is just the kind of limitation that the manufacturer may rectify by an upgrade in the future
And that doesn't really matter anything...
Most of makers haven't done new firmwares to any cameras and even those few manufacturers doing updates make them only to more expensive models so for for standard consumer cameras I wouldn't count on getting much any updates.
Fact is that in 99,9% of cases these updates are done by stamping new number to the side of camera and putting BS department to tout it as new model.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote