Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 20, 2006, 3:19 PM   #1

I've used an old fashioned point and shoot camera for years but am spending way too much money on developing all these photos of my cats, which is what I mostly use my camera for, plus nature shots when I travel and people shots when we have a family reunion.* I'm just starting to research digital cameras.* Here's what I want:* up to $300, light-weight/compact, quick action for my cat shots, ability to take repeated shots, zoom, indoor and outdoor (sun and low light).* The Fuji F10 has been suggested.* What else might I consider?* I'm all ears, especially if you can respond in simplistic terms for a novice.* Gracias!
LFJTPTb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 6:28 PM   #2

LFJTPTb-

The F-10 is certainly an excellent choice. I have certainly enjoyed mine a lot. Here is a sample no flash photo taken with the Fuji F-10

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:37 AM   #3

F10 is certainly a great low light camera, no doubt. The only concern I would have with it is that many people have mentioned they dont get many usuable shots (lots of out of focus shots etc)

The new LZ5 and LZ3 from panasonic have some sort of high sensitivity mode (along with other nice featurs such as 6x zoom and image stabilization). Pannys are known for high noise at high iso's (although I dont see it on my FZ5 to be honest), so you may want to wait and see some reviews

Take a peek here

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...nasoniclz5.asp
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:06 AM   #4

audioedge-

I have own and used my Fuji F-10 for 15 months. I have never had a blurred shot. The way to avoid blurred shots, is to not you the auto setting. The M for Manual setting works exactly like auto, but it allows you to make adjustments to the ISO (where most problems occur) and everything else. Here is a great sample photo from the F-10. Perhaps you will want to post a comparable night shot.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:45 AM   #5

hey MT thats a great shot and I dont have anything to compare as I havent been to such a great fireworks show... however I attended a night time award for a Preston Sporting hero and shot this of a presenter (I was approx 40ft away)...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90

Its great you havent had any troubles with your F10, but I have a friend who has one and gets many out of focus shots, and I saw it mentioned in a couple of places on various forums like here

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...mp;postcount=1

Yes many reviews and comments say the F10 is a great camera in low light, but as with all cameras it also has some negative points

Cheers for posting that pic tho
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 2:22 PM   #6

audioedge-

The reason for the focus problem is that most of the folks with that problem are shooting their F-10 in the auto mode. If you move the mode selector to the M for manual position you can easily avoid the trap of lower shutter speed selection, because you are now in charge of setting the desired ISO speed.

Thanks for posting the link to a very nice photo.

MT