Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 20, 2006, 2:36 PM   #1

I am not sure where to post this as I have questions spanning a few threads but here goes...

I have a Minolta film SLR that I want to replace and with the latest news from KM, I guess I will have to junk all of my Minolta lenses, body and flash. I am looking at Canon for a replacement and I am keen on the 20D - the problem is that it was released a few years ago and may be due for a replacement. My crystal ball is not working at the moment - what is the latest news on a replacement? (I have seen some speculation in other threads). I guess I could always get an old Rebel body while I wait for developments. I feel that I would like to get the latest model possible because as long as a body can do what I need, I have no inclination to change it - the Minolta has lasted me over 10 years without me getting an itch for a new file body.

On the lens side I was thinking of the EFS 17-85as an everyday lens, the EFS 10-22 for a wide angle and a 75-300 IS (not the DO) **edited - this should be 70-300**. I may in future get something bigger but the 300 (480 effective) should do for most of my wildlife photos. The only problem with this choice of lensesthat I can forsee is that a 20D replacement may well have a full frame sensor and then I can not make use of the EFS lenses.

Another question I have is about remote triggering of the camera: I currently use a +-15 foot remote cable on my Minolta does anyone know of a way to trigger the 20D from say 10 foot. I believe the cordless remote is infra-red and thus will require one to be in front of the camera pointing at it which does not suite me.

Any comments will be appreciated

Flash99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 5:20 PM   #2

Flash-

I use a Canon 20D and am very satisfied with it. Nope there is no way of telling if a replacement is in the wings, soon to be released at PMA 2006 around the end of February.

I use a Canon 28-135mm IS lens with mine and shoot existing light photos of concert and stage events. Here is a sample.

I am sorry but I don't use remote releases, so I canno address that portion of your post.

MT

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 6:01 PM   #3

In reality, there probably isn't a need to dump all your minolta stuff. The 5d and 7d are still going to be available for at least the short term, and Sony will be taking the ball from Minolta and producing DSLR's that utilize the Minolta mount. This certainly would be the cheaper option. That being said, the 20d is a great camera, and will continue to be even when its replacement comes out. I'm not a Canon user, but I don't think Canon will replace the 20d with a full frame sensor...they've already got that base covered with their recently introduced full frame DSLR. I don't think you'll be seeing the APS sized sensor going away any time soon, and any investment in these lenses will continue to serve you well into the future.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 6:52 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the APS sensor is here to stay.. in the rebel and 20d successors.. i have the 20d and can vouch for it being a simply wonderful camera.. even if it is replaced it will continue to be a wonderful camera.. i will more than likely skip a generation or two before i upgrade it, as it really does everything i ask and more..

that lens kit sounds like a good combination.. if you want to save a little money, i suggest looking into the tokina 12-24 for your super-wide.. i tested thest two lenses and they are optically the equal of each other, actually my copy of the tokina is sharper than any of the copies of the canons i have tried.. and costs a few hundred dollars less..

canon makes a cable release for the 20d.. you can find out more information doing a quick search of their website or the web..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:58 PM   #5

Thanks, Hards-

I did not have the remote shutter release info.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:37 PM   #6

Flash99 wrote:
Quote:
I have a Minolta film SLR that I want to replace and with the latest news from KM, I guess I will have to junk all of my Minolta lenses, body and flash.
If you'rethinking ofgetting rid ofyour Minolta AF lenses, let me know what you've got and for how much - I could be interested. :G
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote