Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 22, 2006, 1:41 PM   #11

IMHO, from my experience,it's hard to beat the Olympus kit lens; and the more expensive Oly lens are second to none. (the 14-54mm zoom is absolutely superb)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 3:16 PM   #12

Ok but the 14-54mm isn`t the kit lens that comes with the E-500,it`s the 14-45mm.

As a matter of fact i could buy the E-500 with both 14-45mm and 40-150mm lenses for a good price but are these really good ?

My other worry is that Olympus don`t make lenses with IS....wouldn`t that be a problem for good sharp zoom pics ?
The E-500 is also more sensitive to noise......it`s a pity because it`s the camera that felt the best in my hand....it feels perfect...i need some extra convincing.

Looking at the reviews and the pics samples...the Olympus E-500looked better then the D50 Nikon and 5D KM
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 6:50 PM   #13

TAke a look at the E-500 pictures at high ISO's.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:32 PM   #14

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...0_samples.html

Noise at higher ISOs of 800 - 1600 can be found on any camera; but it cleans up well with software. I like Neat Image, but there are plenty of software programs that handles the noise of high ISO images from any camera.

(When I used to shoot high speed 35 mm images, you always got a lot of grain. It is so much easier today to clean up an image with digital. )

Anyway, under what kind of conditions do you do most of your photography?

Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:42 PM   #15

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
So, if I wanted to "freeze" that action at 1/500th and blow in some fill flash, "fuggetaboutit" on the Canon, but you can still do it with the Nikon D50.

-- Terry
I'm embassarred that missedthis point when I posed my additional (unnecessary) question. Sorry. Thanksfor the help.

Scott
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:43 PM   #16

E.T wrote:
Quote:
Magnum wrote:
Quote:
I thought I would be out of distance for a flash, at 40-50 feetfrom subjects, but have been learning that with a high ISO maybe I can use a flash at these distances.
You don't need so high ISO for those, just good flash and fast lens. (not some F5-F6 lens)
E.T.

Thanks,

Scott
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:49 AM   #17

Well i do a lot of pics at night or indoors where light is low....ISO senssitivity is therefeore very important....i don`t want to be carrying a tripod everywhere.
I know that it is possible to correct with neat image but when you make hundreds of pics which need retouching this can be pretty much of a problem.

Sensitivity seems to be much better with the Nikon D50 and pretty much perfect with KM 5D and Canon XT Rebel
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:33 AM   #18

guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:
I know that it is possible to correct with neat image but when you make hundreds of pics which need retouching this can be pretty much of a problem.

Sensitivity seems to be much better with the Nikon D50 and pretty much perfect with KM 5D and Canon XT Rebel
Regardless of which camera you choose, you will need to use noise reduction software on just about every image taken with ISO's above 400, as there will be some noise present.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:43 AM   #19

Rjseeney's previouscommentis right. No matter which dSLR you pick, you will be doing post processing on your PC, not only for noise, but things like contrast and saturation, etc. We all have our preferences for what the final photo should be, and with the software, we can easily get it right. Even with a lot of photos, it's not a problem however. Good software programs like Neat Image store a profile of your camera model, and you can batch process numerous photos at the same time. It's easy and relatively fast. I actually do less post processing with my Oly than with some other brands I own (Sony & Fuji). IMHO the Oly colors are the most natural straight from the camera.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:40 PM   #20

True that noise is present above ISO400, but I'm so used to it, I don't even worry about it.

If you're shooting in RAW format, you can apply noise suppression in batch when processing your photos to JPEG format.

My Canon 20D produces acceptable photos at ISO3200, whereas I've seen other cams, especially point and shoots, that create Halloween images above ISO400.

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote