Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:40 PM   #21

I didn't mean to imply that noise processing was problematic. Batch processing using preset profiles are just part of my regular workflow (even for images shot at 200 or 400) and don't really add any additional time to the process. I just wanted the OP to realize that DSLR's are not completely noise free and require some post processing.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:25 AM   #22

So if i understand well you all think that i shouldn`t worry too much about noise levels from one camera to the other but more about how the camera handles or feels.

The Olympus E-500 feels so good in my hand and looking at the reviews i like the results (probably because of it`s 8M/Pixels).
Can someone tell me if the kit lenses are any good >>14-45mm & 40-150mm
or should i buy the body and lenses apart.

With the Km 5D i should be able to keep the noise lower thanks to it`s IS but i`m a bit scared of the customer service with the shift to Sony services.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:43 AM   #23

guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:
So if i understand well you all think that i shouldn`t worry too much about noise levels from one camera to the other but more about how the camera handles or feels.
Oh, I'm going to have to jump in and disagree with this. Yes, all DSLRS are going to need some noise reduction at high ISOs. But, noise reduction is just something that attempts to correct an image problem. Look at it this way. If you take a picture and it is underexposed by 1/3 of a stop in one camera. Now you take the same picture in another camera and it's underexposed by a full stop. Both images can be corrected in software, but the one underexposed by a full stop is going to suffer more image degradation. The same is true with noise reduction.

I would say your above statement were true if you were 90% going to be shooting ISO 400 or lower. I think when you get into ISO 800 and 1600 for a lot of work you want a camera with better high ISO performance. I think if you took ISO 1600 pictures from all 3 cameras in a real situation (low light dark background - not a nice up-close bright colored subject) and cleaned up all 3 with noise reduction the Olympus picture would look decidedly worse. Now, I'm sure everyone has a great high ISO picture to show. I shoothigh school football - low light, ISO 1600, 3200 on my 20d. And, I canASSUREyou - a picture taken at ISO 1600and run through noise reduction will NOT look as good as a picture taken at ISO 400. Detail will be lost. It gets worse if the picture is either cropped or was underexposed and needs to be brightened up in post processing. So while noise reduction software is very good (I use it a lot) - it cannot replace a cleaner image coming out of the camera.

So, if you require high ISO frequently I think the Olympus is the worst choice. If you don't require it frequently then don't let it dominate your selection process. In either case, ergonomics is very important. So if you like the features of the Oly and don't shoot high ISO - that's the camera for you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:47 AM   #24

guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:
For the most part yes...however some cameras are worse than others and the more noise reduction you apply, the softer the detail becomes in the image. Because of the smaller sensor, cameras that use the 4/3 system (like Olympus) naturally have more noise and have worse performance at higher ISOs (although still better than P&S cameras).
Quote:
The Olympus E-500 feels so good in my hand and looking at the reviews i like the results (probably because of it`s 8M/Pixels).
Can someone tell me if the kit lenses are any good >>14-45mm & 40-150mm
or should i buy the body and lenses apart.
The Oly kit lenses are very good, maybe the best kit lenses available for any DSLR. In general, all Oly lenses are excellent....and very expensive. They also don't have the 3rd party support that the big 3 have (Canon, Nikon and Minolta)..thus they don't have as many less expensive lens options.
Quote:
With the Km 5D i should be able to keep the noise lower thanks to it`s IS but i`m a bit scared of the customer service with the shift to Sony services.
Yes and no. At comparable ISO's noise will be similiar, although because of anti-shake you may be able to get away with using lower ISO's is some situations. Once again, I wouldn't worry about service issues. If you really worried, you can always purchase a 3 rd party warranty.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:27 AM   #25
Administrator

Sony and Konica Minolta had already announced plans to produce Sony branded DSLR models this year that would use Maxxum/Dynax lenses.

The difference is that now KM is selling some of their assets to Sony, and is exiting this market. Sony will also take over service.

The announcements indicate that KM is still going to be manufacturing DSLR models for Sony. So, any work in that area should continue to progress.

I'll tell you one reason Sony may want to produce DSLR models that use the Maxxum/Dynax Lens Mount:

16 Million Lenses -- that is how many Maxxum/Dynax lenses Minolta produced since introducing this lens mount in 1985 (beginning with the Minolta Maxxum 7000, the world's first Autofocus SLR).

That's a lot of lenses in the market, owned by a lot of potential DSLR buyers (and that's not counting third party lenses from Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar and others that are available in Maxxum mount).

Of course, there's also Anti-Shake. ;-)

A KM 5D with Anti-Shake (that works with all lenses, including bright primes), combined with ISO speeds up to ISO 3200 (missing in some entry level models like the Nikon D50 and Canon Rebel XT), would be hard to beat in low light.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:24 AM   #26

KM should have come out with the 5D before the 7D.

I had Minolta lenses, but I opted for the 20D over the 7D, and shifted my investment to Canon.

Had Minolta announced an entry level DSLR first, I'd probably be shooting with Minolta right now.

It's true that there are 16M Minolta lenses out there, but my guess they are mostly owned by amateur photogs, whereas the die hard pro's were into Nikon and Canon.

So I think KM blew it by not entering the market early with something that could have sapped Digital Rebel sales.

As well, Nikon came to the market late with the D50.

So it doesn't suprise me thatKM gave up the DSLR market.

Probably going ot be a big DSLR shootout between Nikon, Canon and Sony now, with everyone else being marginal players.

I wonder if Sony will go the way of SIGMA and their digital offerings.

I figured Sony would be content with the amateur point and shoot market, as there's money to be made there. It seems strange to me that Sony would want to compete in the DSLR market with a KM mount. I think their too late.

Hmmm.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote