Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:26 AM   #1

I`m about to buy my first DSLR and the KM 5D was high on my list but since the news came out that KM are going to stop making cameras and that Sony will take over what is left of theyre technology and are going to be responsible for servicing KM hardware.

I`m really hesitating,what is going to happen with the KM lenses....or are there going to be only Sony lenses in the futur ?

Maybe i should get an Olympus E-500 or Nikon D50...i cannot make up my mind so can someone help me ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:48 AM   #2

What I feel about it is this, being an existing 5D owner:

Lenses: You are not going to lack these until you get to the more extreme model like the ever waiting $1800+ SSM lenses. Regular KM lenses ae still out there, be it as used or new. Prices don't seem to be changing post announcement. And used or new you can find a wide range from Macro to long telephoto. New models of lenses though is probably going to be an issue. When Sony do come out with a KM-mount camera, the body will probably take any lens you have to that point, so you probably will have an upgrade path. But new Sony lens being compatible to older KM body is not so certain, IMO.

Warranty service: If they are still selling these they should probably still be responsible to servicing them. And there are extended warranties services out there. Unless KM really messed up on their transitional period, warranty SHOULD NOT be a problem. My finger is crossed on that too....

Generally though, if you are not that worried about the small points, and you probably should be since regardless its quite a bit of money involved, I'd weigh out your situation then decide whether you'll be comfortable buying it. The camera is excellent, where it is stronger than the competitor(AS, price, ISO noise...etc) doesn't change because of the announcement. But the current situation will obviously influence anyone's decision.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:02 PM   #3

I think you should reasonably expect the price to drop significantly from the current "good buy" price now. If it does, your increased risk will be reflected in the reduced price. I certainly wouldn't pay the same price as before KM got out of the business. If the price doesn't go down by at least 20-25%, I would pass on it as overpriced. Otherwise, it's a reasonable price and just a question of how you feel about owning a discontinued brand.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:33 PM   #4

Sony got all the left over parts from konica minlota, so sony's new DSLR are gonna have mounts compatible with konica minolta's lenses, so if it's lens wise u'll have no problem, they will alwasys have new ones coming from sony after spring 06. Warantee wise i'll be sketchy, I don't care what they say I would be pissed if i bought one had it for 2month and have a part go bad and having to pay outta pocket. Since U say I'll be ur first dslr I can immagine u don't have piles of funds to invest in photography equipment ex $1,500 on a lens, Some of us average ppl don't have that kinda dough or we don't make a profit from photography to justify the cost, this is considering if u come from an average joe perspective. I been looking into my first DSLR, I been looking at the canon rebel xt and the nikon D50 still having trouble deciding but i'll prob stick with the 350D aka rebel xt, reasons It's the smallest (these are tough times and if u shoot stuff with a bigger camera they see u as a security problem aka terrorist). I also wanna make big picture, really big ones so 8.2 mp helps altho not that big difference since the nikon D50 is a high end 6mp and the canon is 8.2 mp not that much difference unless u really plan to blow up pictures. Another reason is my boss is also getting a canon dslr so i'll prob be able to borrow some of his lens. My last reason is that I don't have to compromise too many features, is something I can grow with and get better over time, Canon will still be here a long time from now.
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 9:58 PM   #5

The KM 5D is a relatively inexpensive DSLR, and with a few lenses, you'll have a "kit".

Second hand KM lenses can be found plentyful and quite cheaply now.

Maybe later you might upgrade to another camera, maybe a Sony (same mount), or to another manufacturer.

Yes, your investment in KM lenses wouldn't come with you if you upgraded, but what the heck, you could keep your "kit" or sell it tosomeone else.

The NIkon is a really nice camera if you're into sports photography.

The KM 5D is an inexpensive, but very good entry level DSLR, with anti-shake if you're interested in that feature.

The Olympus is inexpensive and sells as a kit with some very nice lenses.

What bothers me about the Olympus is that the reviews are saying it has poor low light characterisits (at ISO's higher than 400).

The Rebel XT should be another "contender" on your list. 8mp CMOS is sensor, same as in the Canon 20D (semi-pro model). More expensive mid level DSLR.

I wouldn't worry about warrantees and all that stuff. If the cam works in the first week, you'll probably be good with it for the next 20 years.

This would be the thinking I'd have for the cameras mentioned:

- Low priced nice intro DSLR -> go for the KM 5D.

- Into sports photography -> go for the Nikon D50.

- Into general photography, more than an intro budget, go for the Rebel XT.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:53 AM   #6

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Second hand KM lenses can be found plentyful and quite cheaply now.

The NIkon is a really nice camera if you're into sports photography.

The KM 5D is an inexpensive, but very good entry level DSLR, with anti-shake if you're interested in that feature.

This would be the thinking I'd have for the cameras mentioned:

- Low priced nice intro DSLR -> go for the KM 5D.

- Into sports photography -> go for the Nikon D50.

- Into general photography, more than an intro budget, go for the Rebel XT.

-- Terry
Quote:
What are good places to locate used KM lens? Are models suitable for low-light photography likely to be available used?
Quote:
I thought the anti-shake would make the KM 5Dthe better choice for sports photography-- In my case,hoping to capturewrestling in a gym without blurry images.Isthis the type of sportthat youwould prefer the Nikon?Whatare the reasons?
Quote:
Thanks in advance,
Quote:
Scott

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 9:36 AM   #7

Here's five pages of used KM lenses at B&H photo video:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...mp;Submit.y=10

I like the Nikons because they can do flash synchro up to 1/500th.

My Canon 20D can only synch flash up to 1/250th.

So, if I wanted to "freeze" that action at 1/500th and blow in some fill flash, "fuggetaboutit" on the Canon, but you can still do it with the Nikon D50.

As for antishake and sports, I have no experience with it. Some people say it doesn't help you with moving subjects.

My understanding is antishake is good for low light situations, but I don't know how it will work out if the subject is moving rapidly or if you are panning as you take the shot. Somebody else on this forum can comment on that.

If your shooting sports indoors where light is low, the biggest determning factor (for me) in looking at a DSLR is it's low light (ie high ISO) performance.

The Canon 20D has pretty good performance at ISO3200. With a little noise reduction, I can get passable pictures.

You could probably get by with KM 5D, Rebel XT or the D50 for sports, but the 1/500th flash synchro is a very nice feature to have.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:42 PM   #8

What is the benefit of flash syncho up to 1/500th? Can you explain this or direct me to a source that I can read up on it? I thought I would be out of distance for a flash, at 40-50 feetfrom subjects, but have been learning that with a high ISO maybe I can use a flash at these distances.

Thanks,

Scott
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 1:11 PM   #9

What would be better :

Buying the DSLR body only with a top notch lens or a few good second hand lenses or buying the body with it`s kit lenses.

By the way which one has the best kit lens around ?

Nikon 18-55mm or Olympus 14-45mm or KM 5D 18-75mm ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 1:12 PM   #10
E.T

Magnum wrote:
Quote:
I thought I would be out of distance for a flash, at 40-50 feetĀ*from subjects, but have been learning that with a high ISO maybe I can use a flash at these distances.
You don't need so high ISO for those, just good flash and fast lens. (not some F5-F6 lens)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote