Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:30 PM   #11

KM 7D:

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:44 PM   #12

Awesome piccies Bernabeu!

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:39 AM   #13

I know its not even close to the quality of Canon's high end gear, but this is a fine example of my Canon Rebel XT in action. I took this shot a while back in Newport Beach just north of the pier.

Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 9:39 AM   #14

Awesome Andrew!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:23 AM   #15

Here are a few more i took recently but with a different lens. The surfing photo was taken with a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L i borrowed from my uncle.

The following photos were taken with my more "humble" 100-300mm Canon f/5.6 lens.... long exposures.... had to prop my camera on the wood railing of the pier because my ghetto tripod has a stripped adjustment knob and the wind was blowing pretty hard. Enough that the tripod would lose focus in the long exposures.

Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:56 AM   #16

Sony DSC-P150

Attached Images

AnhNamUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 2:30 PM   #17
E.T

Does anyone of you understand that size of this page with its images is ~2MB (+counting up) which takes about TEN minutes to load with analog modem?
Remember that there's still people who don't have broadband connections.

Neither talking about UXGA (1600x1200) capable monitor, in smaller resolutions those pics can mess threads outlook and at least cause lot of scrolling.
So don't post pics to threads not considering photos...
Especially discussing features of cameras when photographer has at least equal effect to results as camera.

And try to use smaller size, say 500 pixels wide, well compressed thumbs and put big image behind link so that modem users don't have to wait downloading of countless megabytes so that they can read content of thread.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:33 PM   #18

Sorry man. I've never seen anyone object to a photo which is only 400k and hosted on a very fast personal server, all my other files were less than half that size and are within the guidelines of the sites own uploading attachment size requirement.

But yes, sometimes i do forget there are people without broadband out there. Time for an upgrade!

Btw.... whats broadband cost in Finland? I heard you guys across the pond have it much cheaper and faster than we do here in the States. (i may have heard wrong).
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:36 PM   #19

Nice shot. I feel like I am there.
10catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:20 AM   #20
E.T

Andrew LB wrote:
Quote:
photo which is only 400k and hosted on a very fast personal server
One picture could go in reasonable time but when there's dozen of those it becomes entirely different thing... even if they're just 100kB.
And speed of servers doesn't matter if bottleneck is connection to "outside world".
That's why I use 500 pixels wide "thumbs" (friendly for those using low resolutions, thanks to TFTs antique 1024x768 is still very common resolution) compressed to 30-40kB and then linking that thumb to bigger picture when needed. Then I use progressive JPEG compression for pics so that rough picture (content of it) is visible after downloading only ~20% of whole image's size.

I've myself had ADSL for 20 months and remember too well what it was before it...
For even somewhat resonable loading speed of pages I used Opera's feature for turning of loading of pictures individually for those tabs with pages which didn't need graphics.
And there's huge areas outside cities without ADSL connections even here in Finland... I have it propably thanks to province wide official project for getting ADSL available everywhere.
I bet there's equally big areas without broadband connections in US if you go outside cities.
Price of 1M/512k is 30 euros which is about 35$... 2M/512k would cost 47 euros... 8M/1M would cost 59 (in cities were competition works 8M/1M costs under 40), but hardly anyone here could have such speed because telephone network's hubs aren't located even remotely reasonably to cover area without long lines.

If this represents your general price level I can tell you that someone is making damn lot of money:
http://www.101freeway.com/adsl.php
(but isn't that the goal of free capitalism, creating maximum amount of money with minimum costs/service)

PS. How about speeds of first analog modem I had... loading that one pic would have taken half hours!
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote