Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 23, 2006, 4:58 AM   #1

i heared long before that "canon is the best, anything other than canon is second"

however , by bowsing reviews and sample pictures ...etc i can see that this is not true for sure ; e.g i never heard people calling canon as "the superior brand vevrybody dreams"

comments ?
docesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:36 AM   #2

This is way too general of a statement. For sure, Canon makes very good cameras, but everyone has different needs, and no single camera or manufacturer can fill every need. Now if you saidCanon is the "most popular" brand, I would tend to agree with you. Out of all the companies, they have done the best job at marketing their products.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:39 AM   #3

great first post there docesam, shout it be in the What Camera Should I Buy? section... probably not
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:32 AM   #4

thank you for your contribution ....

you know .. i always says the specialization is the best thing , i always wondered why sony is making cameras and still saling them , they should focus on DVD players and the like ..

however, browsing digicam review sites i found that pictures from most vendors even relatevily new ones like samsong can be very good ,and for the untrained eyes they look similar ... actually i was shocked by this fact
docesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:35 AM   #5

Sony's cameras on a whole a very good and user friendly. Sony understands consumer electronics very well...they've made video recorders forever...digicams are a natural fit.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:10 AM   #6
E.T

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Out of all the companies, they have done the best job at marketing their products.
Yep, sale numbers/market shares doesn't have much anything to do with which camera has best features, innovations and such.
It's all about images created by BS... PR department.
If you look those most sold cameras they're quite plain dozenware and could come from any manufacturer, they all have basically identical feature sets which are on that basic/minimum level defined by makers with most loudest BS/PR department.

That's because adding new real features and innovations costs, so it's in interests of biggest makers to freeze feature sets so they can dumb markets full of cheap to make dozenware (and cheap to upgrade, just add megapixels and stamp new PR jargon to ads) products with basic feature sets and make profits by selling huge quanties of those.
While small makers can have very innovative new features bigger price tags hinder sales badly or then dozenware level price tag gives lousy profit/net loss so all they can do to survive is try to make cheap enough to produce dozenware which would leave some profit margins with smaller sales.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:42 AM   #7

There is no such thing as "The best" and even there were, Canon would be a long way from being it!!:lol:
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:37 PM   #8

You better check the websites winning photos. Under most every "great" shot bears the canon signature. Better go get yourself one while they still have some left. I did. Happy sailing!
10catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:21 PM   #9

I've heard that Canon owns 60 percent of the DSLR market.

Some people will say that the "herd" are buying Canon, but I think most pro's I've met are pretty comfortable with Canon.

Most pro's I see out at sporting events are shooting with Canon, and a few with Nikon.

I suspect more people are shooting with Canon's at sporting events because they are using them for other newspaper tasks as well.

Nikon has traditionally been the sports photog's cam (in film days) but now days Canon seems to be making major inroads in the sports photography arena.

As for myself, I'm pretty happy with my Canon 20D. My appreciation for the20D is growing over time. There's very few products I've ever bought that my appreciation steadily goes up over time. In fact, no other product.

I guess that's pretty high praise for Canon.

There are other great cameras out there, so Canon isn't the only brand in the game making great cameras.

But all I know is I'm very, very happy with my purchase.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:29 PM   #10

fuji s7000:

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote