Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:57 AM   #1

Hello. I am thinking of splashing out on a digital SLR but am not sure what to buy or what to look out for. I am new to the whole digital thing (having previously pooh-poohed the idea!). I just want a basic camera that does basic things for the time being. I have an Mac rather than a PC if that makes much difference.

I do have 35mm SLR - it is a really old Canon A1 and it is fantastically easy to use.

Thank you all for your time and help!
victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:22 AM   #2

I would start here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Then scroll down to the amateur dSLR section. Then read all the reviews. Enjoy
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:27 AM   #3

Just one comment here, since you have no lenses which will work on current DSLRs any brand will do. If you plan on getting very involved in photography, Nikon and Canon offer the greatest potential for growth (the Nikon D50 is also an exceptional camera for such a low price). All brands have their own strengths and weaknesses (I own a Pentax *istDL since I already had Pentax lenses, it is a very simple to use, but it may not be the camera for everyone).

Don't get hung up on "pixel peeper" reviews (all of these cameras take great pictures) instead concentrate on handling and ease of use.

Good luck

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:28 AM   #4

victoria wrote:
Quote:
I just want a basic camera that does basic things for the time being. I have an Mac rather than a PC if that makes much difference.

I do have 35mm SLR - it is a really old Canon A1 and it is fantastically easy to use.

Thank you all for your time and help!
Victoria,

I'm curious why you want a DSLR vs a digicam? You state you want a basic camera that does basic things. Even the cheapest DSLR is going to end up setting you back over $700. Have you looked into non- DSLR digital cameras? If so, and if you still want to go the DSLR route, what types of photography are you interested in? As another poster mentioned, each camera has it's pros and cons and the type of shooting you currently do and might want to do in the future will help guide you to the correct system.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 4:06 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i really do not think that a dslr is for you.. to make the most out of a dslr, you need to know the basics of aperture and shutter speed.. as well as some basic image editing.. otherwise you will get better images with a digicam..

please take this into serious consideration.. there are some really nice digicams out there that would serve you well..

what camera is for you will depend on your intended use, can you give us some ideas of the shots you will be taking?

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote